Green June Bugs!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Help, Thousands of these showed up yesterday. I've never heard of any in our area. Need some advice, please.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Here you go:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/junebug.html

Good luck!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you ceejay. My coop-extension agent couldn't even help.

They've not been in our area before. The new york times has a big article today, Manhattan has been hit too. They didn't know what to do either.
Someone else sent a great link to Ohio state u called ohioline yard & garden, which is very helpful. You're right, I'll need lot's of luck!!!!

I don't know if this will work with green June bugs - I've only had the regular brown ones.
I used to live in Oklahoma and they were so bad. It was hard to have a pool party - they just dive bombed right in. Then I thought - aha! - they are attracted to the lights. So I left my lights in the pool on at night, and the next day I would have to scoop them out, repeated that until June bug season was over. The next year, I had almost no June bugs - they hadn't been able to reproduce.
If you don't have a pool, maybe you could set up a kid's pool with some kind of light to lure them.
Well, anyway, it worked for me....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

ceejay, thanks, but the green ones fly around in the am and go to bed by 2pm est! LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

But that surely is usin your noggin!!!!

Hmmmm..... Never mind.

Stormy - I thought I was brilliant - when it actually worked! :-D
(Before that, we had to make up pool games that included the June bugs!)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ceejay, That's even funnier and equally inspired!

One was "Who can get a June bug across the pool first, without touching it with any part of your body or clothing? Read, set, GO!"
Those were the good old days... LOL!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh no! I had no idea what these were until I read this thread. I have the brown ones ALL OVER THE PLACE, even inside the house! What do they eat? How do I "mass exterminate" them?
Roberta

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Rob, There's a very good paper from Ohio State U, on their website, search for Ohioline yard & garden. Paper is titled "White Grubs in Turfgrass"

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks, I will look it up!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hirotaka, I'm sorry but we just sprayed insecticide. If you will send me instructions for how to keep them alive in transit, if I can catch some, I will send them to you. No pay is necessary.

El Cerrito, CA

Hi Stormyla;

I will have been waiting for your Green June Beetles!
Thank you in advance!

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Our June bugs are just starting to show up. The research you are doing is interesting to me. My husband was just telling me he'd seen a few & he was glad they weren't harmful, like the JB's.
P.S. As children we caught them & tied string around their legs & had a competition on whose would stay in the air the longest. (Obviously before TV was so available a commodity).

El Cerrito, CA

Hi Davis1676,

Could you show me some photos of your beetle?
Actually, our investigation includes how long beetle can fly as children do. :-)

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I liked that! I'll be on the lookout & will get you a pic as soon as I can.

El Cerrito, CA

Hi Davis1676,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
Hopefully, please put a ruler togther with the beetles for me to see the size when you take photos of the beetles.

Best regards,

El Cerrito, CA

Dear All

I'm writing this message for announcing we don't need Green June Beetle anymore.
Thanks to advices from some of you, we've got many beetles and it's enough - of course they were delivered using the permission from USDA. If there are still some guys who are collecting beetles, please Dmail me within this week.

Thank you for your advice and help.

Best regards,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.