Candy Lilies are blooming

Thumbnail by mosbyone
Fredericksburg, VA

little farther back

Thumbnail by mosbyone
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Very, very pretty! Samantha

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I love these! Started some from seeds but they haven't bloomed yet...

Fredericksburg, VA

I have found out this year that these spread fast too.

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

They spread wicked fast, I had 1 little sprout last year. And that is wonderful because they are a wonderful plant!

Thumbnail by crashbandiscoot
Pretoria, South Africa

Really beautiful!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

They do spread fast. Mine have been in the ground for two years and already need dividing. If you don't want to divide, just cut the seed pods off. BEV

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Those are so pretty--where did y'all get them?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one, but just transplanted it from a teeny tiny pot in the early spring, so I don't think it'll bloom this year. It does grow new fans quickly, though. Can't wait for it to start blooming. Maybe next year!

Fredericksburg, VA

Got mine from Merryfirld nursry

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Are they tall? Do they need staking? Do they have a fragrance? Are they hard to take care of?

sorry to be asking so many questions . . . I feel I must have some immediately!

Carrie

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Carrie you have dmail. BEV

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

They get about 4 foot tall. They do not need staking.They do not have a fragrance.They are easy to take care of.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

And they're actually part of the iris family!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, people! As long as they don't fall over! (I've heard that some irises smell very strongly....)

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hi. new to this forum.

I grew candy lilies from seed and they are gloriously in bloom in their second year (last year only 2 bloomed, but they were new). now they are huge and crowded, and need to be divided, i think. the color variations are amazing- everything from speckled maroon to peachy-pink. i'm so thrilled with them.

is fall the best time to divide them? or spring as they come up... does dividing compromise the next season's blooms?

any and all info. appreciated;)

joy

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I am in the same boat as you are,but I should think that you treat them like any other iris. I am going to move mine and ship some as soon as they quit blooming. Bev

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

OH! Welcome to the forums Joy. Sorry I am not awake yet.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Pretoria, South Africa

I started some seeds last year. This will strictly be their second summer - hope they bloom. Can't wait to see which colors I have!

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

They are very pretty. Do they spread to where they are invasive?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi All - this plant is new to me too. To add to some of the questions already asked - does it make a good cut flower? And depending on the answer to the degree of invasiveness, this sounds like a plant that I will have to add to my flower garden too. Dianne

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 8:37 PM

Normal, IL

My Candy Lily has done well in a mixed perennial bed....see in upper right hand corner of pic. The best display that I've seen of Candy Lily was in the perimeter landscaping of a pool where the Candy Lily was stand alone and in gravel. So, apparently Candy Lily isn't picky about where to establish.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
Fredericksburg, VA

I would not call it invasive. But I have had new plants come up 8-10 feet away from the large group I have started with.

Fredericksburg, VA

couple more

Thumbnail by mosbyone
Fredericksburg, VA

last one

Thumbnail by mosbyone

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.