Need help please!

Kansas City, KS

I had lofty goals for this planting season. I bought a lot of vegie seed and flower seed and the weather didn't cooperate. Couple that with a new granddaughter born on Sunday...and I am miserably behind! Question is...can I still plant anything besides green beans and radishes in zone 5 for fall harvest? And what about the flower seed I bought...will they be good next year? BTW: The new baby is beautiful and so totally worth it even if I can't get any use out of all I bought! I planted 12 pounds of potatoes early on and they were doing good until the rabbits ate them all! About the only thing I have growing in the vegie garden right now is tomatoes and I just tied them up today for the first time. Guess I am fickle! LOL

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Grandmarain, you're doing fine... Spring was late, so we're late.. I'm not sure on the veggies, I think you can grow fall cabbage and lettuce... You can put the seeds in the frig till next year, depending on the kind, they should be okay next spring. I have seeds I should probably pitch, (you know how it goes).. but I don't, I keep using them and collecting and buying more... Congrats on the brand new baby, I bet she's precious!

rural Hughesville, MO(Zone 5b)

Check with the Misosuri University Extension website: http://extension.missouri.edu/ and vegetable planting calendar gives you all kinds of information about veggies with: http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06201.htm

In summer you can plant an amazing amount of veggies from 25 July through 5 August for a fall harvest.

Some flower seeds are good for 7 to 10 years, but the sooner the better.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

The weather has made things late. Here is the link to another calendar. This one is from from Savvy gardener and easy to read. SG is local to KC. Looks like there are a number of things that you can plant this month.

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/veg_garden_calendar.html

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've planted veggie and flower seeds that were several years old and got at least some germination. As for the rabbits, get some blood meal or use the meat juice next time you thaw any kind of meat, mix it with hot pepper sauce or powder & garlic powder. Sprinkle this mixture on and around the area you want to protect. Even just the blood meal with help a lot. It will scare away deer to some extent too.

Kansas City, KS

Thanks to everyone who replied! I feel better now...still not sure what to plant in the next two week as far a vegies go...but I will put all the flower seed in the fridge. The baby is totally adorable...I stayed home today to mow and weed eat and do some necessaries...and I miss her already! I belong to the Savvy Gardener site and have for several years. I just wasn't sure about the planting guide there and if maybe there were other things I could grow for Fall. Thanks again for the help...I need it! LOL

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

our list for this week is potatoes, beans,cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, and beets and hope we don't get a killing frost till after oct 20 that is about our normal time

Kansas City, KS

Well I definitely have the beans and beets. And radishes too! On the broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts, do you plant from seed? If not, where do you find the plants this late? I would like to replant the potatoes too but can't ever find them up here for fall planting.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

I plant from Seed they will be started day or tomorrow may go do it in a few minutes as it is to hot to work out side much except under some shade

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.