Re-Do Color inspiration: Moose Head Lake (piece of slate)!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This project that I started today began as a color inspiration from a piece of slate I picked up along Moose Head Lake in Maine this summer. DH likes to fly fish and I had never gone along (we've been married 6 years), so I went on a "float" trip this time. I watched for moose, took pictures, read a book--yes, he was embarrassed!!--, and collected rocks from the shore when we stopped for a meal cooked by our guide.

This is going to be our only guest room, and it's small. It was (yesterday...before he moved his stuff out to the living room!) my husband's office/game room (he plays war games online at all hours of the night!) but we decided to put him in a much larger room and use this one for guests. The room was a medium brown--very macho!

It took me 6 1/2 hours today to paint the first coat. Needs to dry 4 hours according to the paint can, so I'll do the final coat tomorrow.

I had at first told DH I wanted to paint the room "robin's egg blue" and he vehemently said "NO!" (Roger is the type husband who thinks he must be "in" on everything done in and around the house--even if he doesn't know jack about colors!) But when I found the piece of slate with 3 colors we liked (slate blue, dark brown, and beige) he was sold!

Here is the room after the first coat, and this is pretty true to the color: a light but grayish blue...a true slate blue! I matched it from the piece of slate as best I could.

Thumbnail by Connie_G
This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!