some sort of mutation?

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I have a lot of the different cone flowers and really love them. This one is unmarked so I assuming that it is Magnus. I have been watching it for awhile.and waiting for it to bloom. The bloom has been there in the green stage for about three weeks. Well today I went to take a look at it and it is doing some sort of strange mutation. This is a first for me. All these new flowers(still green) are developing with a stem and all directly out of the cone. Go figure. I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. It is not isolated to one bloom either although I do think it is all one plant.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

This next picture shows other blooms on the plant

Thumbnail by Riverland
(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

unfortunately I think it is aster yellows. I have been having a problem with it this year too with my magnus. Seems like that is the only variety affected, except one prima donna. I pulled the plants and bagged them. Must be a bad year for it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Yes I agree, see this thread and info site below http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869656/

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, that's the weirdest site i've ever seen . I'm goin gto have to check out that link too. thanks

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Well I will be sure to go out and pull it later when it is not 100 degrees. Thanks for the info cause I would have left it alone. Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.