Long term storage

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Good morning,
Well I've been reading some of the threads here, and can relate to a lot of it. Coming from a Depression era family as well, I save alum foil, and yes, sometimes re-use baggies *g*. Recent financial setbacks have made me much more concious of saving money on food (and everything else), and I've gone overboard. I have a food outlet just down the street (literally) and I have been doing what probably amounts to recreational shopping. I have had a wonderful time exploring the aisles, and have LOTS of great stuff. Probably enough beans and pasta for a year, and flour and sugar. It's all in date (for now) and for the most part, organic. How long can I store it for, and what are the best methods? I had planned to put the little bags of dried peas/beans in bail top glass jars, but buying new seals will cost 2-3 times what the beans did. Should pasta go in big containers in original packaging, or should it be de-boxed and vacuum sealed? Flour in the freezer, but sugar?
Any thoughts welcome, I have to get this stuff stored somehow, the pile of bags is scary ....
Thanks,
margo

This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!