ID needed: Any Ideas?

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

Moofiepoo and I are working on identifying some plants, and this is one of hers. She has started calling it Red Glow, but that is just for her purposes. Neither of us know the actual name. We know it's not new, since she has a friend who has grown it for 10 years (from one tuber to a 3-acre fence-line).

It seems to be medium height, green foliage, striking flower: bright red with variable orange to yellow streaking and small yellow throat.

We'd be grateful for any help -- especially if you have this and can nail the ID!

It's a three-part picture (wide) -- click on it or open it in another screen to view the full three pics.

Thanks!

This message was edited Jul 8, 2008 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is a fuzzy close-up showing the yellow throat, which can also vary.

Thumbnail by SilkKnoll
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks a little like mine.

Mine are called President.

Thumbnail by morganc
Orlando, FL

I looked at the pics of the President. I do not think it looks like that. Mine has a deep red edge on the leaves. I have a bunch of blooms today. I think this is a much better picture of the flower. They all have the yellow throated stuff in them. But the red is a different shade on almost every flower. Sometimes it is more orangish red. Other times it is a deeper true red. Sometimes in each cluster of flowers, each flower will be a different shade. I love that it always is a guessing game of color. Always very pretty however.

Thumbnail by Moofiepoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.