Canna #4

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Time for a new thread for those of us on dial up.

Paul, plant more potatoes and send them to me!! :~p

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

in Sept then ill dig Jan. then plant again late Feb.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

mmmm, spuds year round, I like the sound of that.

Supposed to be 98 here today, going to swim at Great America - they have a big water park, that is not too busy during the week. Gets down to 65 at night, so not miserable.

Tammie - I'm glad that your plants (and you) got some rain !

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I have Sweet Poatoes growing right now they will be ready in NOV

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

how do you cook 'em? .... I like to cut them up and cover with olive oil, dijon mustard & salt pep and roast them in the oven.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I like theam Baked yum yum Paul

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I am going to have to give them another try some day.. never liked them before but I love new potatoes.. wish I had room to grow some.

Overcast and damp the last few days.. a few sprinkles this morning... all plants are very, very happy. I thought it was me because everything was just miserable looking and half dead before. I kept watering and watering without any effect.. 4 days of rain and an additional week of cooler temps and you would never know that everything had been so stressed.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

LL, nothing beats some cooler, overcast days and rain as a kicker. So far, this summer has been cooler than most of recent years, though it is drier.

Sweet potatoes- paul, I'm jealous. I like smothered in butter, then baked, then pour some honey with a little dash of cinnamon. A meal unto itself for sure, but a little cornbread would be icing on the cake. Ok, I'm hungry now.

Heck, I'M hungry now and I just finished eating tuna casserole. LOL

Got some more rain today which caused some flash floods around here. All the creeks are running high and fast and it won't take much to go all out on floods. I think we got at least an inch around here.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

....mmmm....sweet potato biscuits w/ honey butter

do y'all ever cook them with sweet peppers and veggies, on the grill is really good with a little teriyaki and worcestershire (anchovy-free) sauce....

or thanksgiving casserole style with the brown sugar and spices, marshmallows with pecans/walnuts on top....

getting hungry here, I love sweet potatoes but we never get around to planting them, usually when the weeds and heat are already out of hand

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

now I'm hungry too, any and all of the above sound fantastic!

I have made sweet potato biscuits and they are reeeeeallly good!!!!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Walking the garden this morning, with coffee in hand, was checking out the veg garden. Squashes are insanely huge this year. And most important......I got maters!!!! Doing the happy dance. This is actually quite early around here. It usually goes from mild, spring straight into scorching summer. Not this year. We've only had a handful of days in the 90's, and only 2 of those above 95. It has been quite dry, though. I think we're only at 3 inches for the year. Lots of watering. But, I got maters!!! Yeah!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

fantastic ! .... and I'm jealous

I have maters also and have been eating my red currants. Waiting on my sungellas to ripen and my beefmaster and another big one. My biggies don't get big but what they lack in size they replace with quanity.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

mmmmmm, HEY TROP Big Brother 10 starts tonight sweetheart!

Not that show again!! LOL. I will be watching Design Star. Much more interesting and fun. LOL

I checked on my cannas today and they are doing fantastic!! The trops are edging to 4ft tall now and the old fashioned reds are getting closer to 3ft. The reds are scalding a bit in a few spots but since it's almost full sun I kinda expected that.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol - I watched Design Star, too. um, and Next Food Network Star. hmmm, I may have a problem w/reality tv.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

You Girls Need to get a Life

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

And what programs do you watch??? Hmmm? Dotti

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Sci Fi LOL

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Ice Road Truckers! This month, Tour de France.

Love Ice Road Truckers!! Tour de France maybe if I was home enough. My all time fav show though is Black Sheep Squadron which they don't show anymore. Grrrr....

Oh and Paul? I HAVE a Life!! :~p

Truck went into shop tonite. Traffic was a nightmare. I-70 had a wreck going both directions in the town I was heading to and the traffic girl told everyone going that way from downtown KC to not bother going that way cause they won't make it anywhere for a looong time. We took back ways so we wouldn't have as much traffic to deal with.

Have only been home a little while so talk to ya'll tomorrow.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Ice Road Truckers !!! I've never even heard of that ha ha ha ha ha

Well, usually I'm not such a big tv watcher, but being in an apartment in the evenings is not helping right now.... we usually play outside . We have gone swimming in the evenings tho which is fun.

Aren't you supposed to be in your new house by now?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Our close is August 15th - so we have a few more weeks here .... it gets a little smaller every day :)

That's just under a month away!! YIKES!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

OMG I know Pep, I'm trying to stay calm... We do get to go check it out tomorrow see what work has been done etc., I'm trying not to plan too much.

In laws are here - they're great, so fun with them here

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I feel for you Red, you know I do...

Got my truck back last night. Damage was bad but fixable. WHEW!!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Pepper remind me to tell you about the bike i had that i added a weed wacker to it for a enginge

If you tell me about it then I have to tell my brother and he will want to build it. LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh - do tell about weed whacker bike : )

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Checked the plumeria's today, they are starting to leaf out again.

Everyone busy ?

Yep, busy. Gotta dig up a ton of irises for a swap, last nite a main water line got tore up when someone was digging so we are having water problems, a friend's house got broken into-everyone fine, and getting ready for butterfly festival at work. :~)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oooh, butterfly festival, that sounds fun!

did they take much at your friend's house?

I think we'll go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival this weekend, love garlic! Don't think I'll try the garlic ice cream tho.

Only jewlery was taken.

Butterfly festival is fun except when it's a 100 deg out and you have close to 10,000 people during the event there. lol.

OH!! My reds and my tropicannas are starting to put on blooms. One each so far. I just wish the plants were taller. Like 6 ft to screen out my neighbors. Oh well. :~(

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I know what you mean, mine never got quite that tall either ... at least your getting your blooms tho.

Today was another crazy day. It seems like our phone is messed up. Last night we didn't have any dial tone. So the company called and got thru and said it was the caller id. Then I get home today and went to use the phone and it was static-y. And a message was on the phone and was also static-y. This morning my computer wouldn't work and we think the phone itself is messing everything up. My computer works for now but my high speed isn't working too well. It is a big mess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.