Can't install mouse!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

DH is trying to install a laser mouse on his computer (Micron) and he gets a window asking him to load his XP Home Edition CD, which he doesn't have. It is asking for this file: i8042prt.sys He called Micron and they told him he would have to buy new XP software. So, we tried to install it on my computer (HP with XP pro) and it worked just fine. My Microsoft Trackball will work on his computer too. He is currently using a very ancient mouse (seriously - it doesn't even have a wheel) from an old computer we've taken to the recycling center, with no problem. He bought this new mouse after I complained about the clicking sound that old mouse makes. And he is only using that mouse because his laser mouse crashed when he put new batteries in it. (Yes, he tried another set with no luck, either.)

Anyway, is there a work around for this problem?

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!