Help with ID's

Victoria BC, Canada

I've done a pretty good job of ID'ing my flowers, but I've still a few to go. I never know what I've got until it blooms because I'm new to gardening and this is my first summer in this home. Can someone tell me what this is. I know it's fairly common, but I just can't find its name anywhere. Thanks. I have one or two more that I'll post as soon as the blossoms come.

Thumbnail by maggie234
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Maggie, I think this is monk's hood or aconitum. The foliage sure makes me think so too.

Victoria BC, Canada

It certainly looks that way. I have other monkshood, but it's finished now and going to seed. It is way taller than this plant, and its foliage is way different too. Can they both be monkshood? They're both purple but very different looking. What do you think?

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

is this it? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77081/ . I thought it looked like larkspur and you guys said monkshood.... I'm an experienced guesser :-) lol! Andrea

Victoria BC, Canada

Ah yes, Larkspur. That sounds and looks exactly right. Thank you!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

If the individual flowers on the stalk open up to be flatter, then I would agree with larkspur.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it's the Aconitum. Go take a look at the back side of your flowers--if there's a "spur" sticking out of the back then it could be larkspur but if there's not then it's not. Here's a picture that clearly shows the spur I'm talking about http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/189895/

Victoria BC, Canada

It's definitely not a larkspur, as there's no spur on the back, but I have another flower that does have a spur on the back of the blossoms. So maybe it's going to end up being a larkspur. It's all a lot of fun this year, as there are so many flowers, and I know so few of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It's monkshood (note the hooded flowers without spurs), Aconitum spp., probably Aconitum napellus judging from the narrow leaf blades.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, absolutely right!!!

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

the link that I posted was of the aconitum, just the with the name "larkspur leaved monkshood".

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Heh...I'm a newb. My first thought was baptisia http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/190981/

The foliage is all wrong, though. Monkshood/aconitum it is. (I learn something every day!)

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

The plant is definitely Monkshood (Aconitum). I think it is Aconitum Napellus, I will do a bit of research and if it is a different variety I will let you know.
Steve

This message was edited May 1, 2009 12:39 AM

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Larkspur has tails on each bloom too. BEV

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Agree with above. It is a monkshood. Have a number of different species and cultivars of Aconitum. Flower shape, color, height and especially leaf structure (as said above) say it is Aconitum napellus.
Maggie234 - you probably know how poisonous monkshood is. There is no antidote. Kind of obvious, but it should never be planted near kitchen gardens. Gloves are recommended, because of the possibility of a person having cuts or abrasions on their hands. Seems odd that it's now used as a florists' flower. Was a fatality from eating it in Maritime Canada around 2004, when an up-and-coming young TV actor (also a vegetarian who ate wild gathered plants) died from aconitine poisoning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.