I, for one, did not need this forum

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Sigh.

I was quite content in life not knowing that miniature gardens existed. With these threads scattered all over the various Dave's Garden forums, I was lucky enough not to have run across any yet. Unfortunately, that all changed last week.

Now I know why I had held onto this old gas grill for so long:

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I used Creeping Juniper, Wooly Thyme, and Lemon Variegated Thyme. Oh no, how did that bear get there?

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Of course, there has to be a little fairy. For the fence, I wove thin suede strips around matchsticks.

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

The gazebo is a little tea light fixture. I cut the bottom off and removed some of the posts to make it more open. I made the table and chairs from some flat beads.

My husband says, no, I am not allowed to start searching the neighborhood for trashed grills sitting on the curb!

There is more work to be done - there is still a lot of dirt showing! But it is a start :)

Just what I needed - another obsession!!

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

OMG!! This is too cute!!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

I love it!!

South, TX

SOOO CUTE in that gas grill!!! Great idea!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lovely! Now guess what I want to do...

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Actually, I got the idea to use the grill from another thread on this forum.

I am glad you all like it!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Too, too cute. Love your little fence and table and chairs. So creative!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

what scale are you using?

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

I am just kind of winging the scale - nothing scientific.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

hilarious! and nice work!

y'all are gonna suck me into this, too. I was at the greenhouse buying herbs and noticed a good selection of tiny plants that would be great for this. but I just have too many projects going at the moment to start another one. I'll probably do one this winter, though.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I’m going to wish I never saw this; I love your mini garden. I have a broken grill that’s been in the shed for 3 years and nobody has fixed it yet. Can you guess what’s going to happen to it! Thanks for sharing, it’s just adorable.
Donna

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

It sure makes it easy to move around, having it in a grill. And I can sit in a chair and work on it :)

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

By the way, I used that coconut fiber mat stuff on the bottom to cover up the big holes in the bottom of the grill, and still allow for drainage.

South, TX

Good idea, I bet the coconut stuff works great!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

What fun!! I love teeny tiny stuff like that...Jeannie I have a mail box that would fit right in, remind me if we get together to bring it for you. This is why we should never throw anything away!!!

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

I was shopping for MIL water feature this weekend, had to take several perfect little plants out of the cart. We may have a serious problem here. I keep seeing things that would make a perfect tiny garden. Soon I hope!

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Nope didn't need it just like the rest of us addicts!!! LOL Really cute idea using the old grill. May have to go back through the box of things for Goodwill now that I have seen your set up. Suede strips for the fencing--oh how clever!! Did you put anything on it to protect it from the weather or is this located in a protected area?

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Right now I don't have anything that protects it from the weather. That is one thing I am concerned about a little. But it is on wheels, and I can move it against the house wall - or even indoors - if I need to. I probably should spray the fence and the fairy with polyeurethane. I think everything else should be okay for rain and sun.

The other thing I wondered about is whether I should have painted the grill first. It is black, and may get quite hot sitting in the sun.

I just purchased some UV spray protectant at Home Depot today that I will be using on mine. Haven't gotten far with the Fairies but have my Gromes going right now. Trying to do 2 separate areas. Just what I needed just like everyone else. Oh the child does surface in us all again.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I made this and put it at the base of a tree a couple years back. DH made a path out of white gravel.....honestly, do we need to be committed? LOL

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

Sheila, among most people that may be enough to have you committed but not here. Here you will get suggestions on how to add to it!!

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh that is very cute Sheila!

Meezer, that is really nice. Just think, if you are committed, there will be an entire place full of other just like you. We can take over an make a tiny garden there too!! I love all the ideas and exchanges with this thread--very helpful with what I would like to do in my garden.

Yikes how did I miss that?

This message was edited Jul 7, 2008 10:35 AM

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the grill idea. What a perfect height not only for constructing, but for viewing. And portable is good!

(The wheelbarrow idea is about the same and a really good idea, too.)

I love the little fence made out of matchsticks and suede. That is creative!

I like your bear, too :0)

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks! I think every garden needs a little whimsy :)

The fence is actually my favorite non-plant part. I think it looks very realistic.

My husband just called to report that my tiny garden made it through it's first storm unscathed!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

You can do gardening in the loony bin? Sign me up, girls!

Why yes you can. Would you believe it gardening is recommend for stress situations. DD was really stressed toward the year of school year (she's a teacher) docs told her to plant a garden!!! There went my back yard such as it was. Now she has started looking at my gnomes and fairies. They goes the other part!!

Acampo, CA(Zone 9a)

Welcome to all the new members of my addiction !!! they should have an AA for this forum maybe TGA ??
( that is tiny garden anononmous . sp? ) LOL

Love the BBQ idea !! might have to start looking for old bbq or something unique to make another in......................

Oh TGA would be great!! We can all be charter members, right?

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

here, here...
my name is Taylor, and I'm a "tiny~holic".

I've been a tinyholic, since age seven, :0)

Reedsburg, WI(Zone 4b)

ROTFLMBO

Priceless--Taylor!!! Good to know there are others out there like us.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

All things tiny .........are good things. I have been similarly obsessed since I could read......

Thumbnail by meezersfive
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

There is a whole curio full of these Pocket Dragons, and some are packed away.........got started and couldn't stop. sigh.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

And these were on our wedding cake............22 years ago.

Nice collections! I have ladybugs everywhere!! Need to get them all together in one location soon though.

South, TX

Aw cute kitties and dragons!

I agree, gardening is wonderful for the soul. Things outside get your mind off of things if you are stressed. I can garden all year here and it is wonderful. Since I just had surgery (stressful), my gardening is with my fairy gardens inside and my wonderful African Violets. I am looking forward to doing work outside again. My hubby has been planting flowers as well as the lawn mowing he does.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.