Who am I?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I planted Brestenburg and Amethyst on either side of Limelight. The labels got lost over the winter and now I forgot which is which!! maybe one of you sharp DGers can help ID through my photos. First photo:

Thumbnail by bbinnj
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Another photo of the same hyd:

Thumbnail by bbinnj
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

The other unknown hyd:

Thumbnail by bbinnj
Greensboro, AL

I did the same thing, lost the labels to amethyst

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

LOL! Can you tell which is Amethyst since you have it too?

Greensboro, AL

I know that one of mine is amethyst, but I don't know which one.

Watching to see if someone knows for sure!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm pretty sure the first one is Brestenburg and the second is Amethyst. Here's a site listing both of them for sale so you can see pics and compare for yourself, but based on pics and descriptions there I believe that's what they are http://www.nantuckethydrangea.com/shoppingcart/agora.cgi?xm=on&product=3in_Plants

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Ecrane, I think you are right. I found an old post of mine with a photo regarding rust spots on Brestenburg and that hyd has the rust spots today also. doesn't seem to have affected its blooms though; it's blooming better this year than last with the spots.
BTW, I bought nearly all my hyds from Nantucket Hydrangeas!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No wonder they carried both of them then! They've got a lot of nice ones, I've never shopped there, but when there wasn't a pic of Brestenberg in Plant Files I went to Google and theirs was one of the first ones that popped up (if you decide you're confident which plant is which, your pic would look great in the Brestenberg Plant Files entry!)

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I heartily recommend them for hyds. Maybe because you are in CA you like a local dealer better, I understand that. They are fairly close to me so I prefer them. I may post to Brestenburg in the PF, thanks for the compliment.
BTW, I was dismayed that my Brestenburg is hot pink and not deep blue. So I told DH that I was going to amend the soil to get the same deep blue Frank Dutra has on the Nantucket Hyd site. DH who like blue and not pink told me to leave the pink Brestenburg as it is, since it is near Nikko Blue and the contrast is striking.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There aren't too many hydrangea places around here, but I'll usually look for places in Washington or Oregon before I look at the east coast. Plus I don't have too many shady areas in my yard (or areas that I have time to irrigate enough for hydrangeas) so I need to see how the ones I have do before I buy any more. But I'll definitely keep them in mind if I find more space!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.