Mulch - layers of newspaper and grass clippings?

Green Bay, WI

I'm wondering if it's ok to use all parts of the newspaper as a first layer of mulch or just the black and white pages - not glossy or colored?

And if I want to use grass on top of that, can I use grass that has been treated with weed and/or insect killer(s): weed - late spring, insect - about a month ago? Thanks

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

The glossy parts are a clay coated paper, and there is some thoughts about not using it as it contains quite a bit of other material. Black and white is printed with a soya based ink and will break down quickly, leaving very little residue. If this is a flower bed, the grass is probably okay - check the lables to find out how long the manufacturer's say the 'cides stay in the plant/soil - late spring is only about 4 weeks, so really not that long. If this is for vegetable beds I'm not sure that I would use the grass as a mulch, but instead leave it to compost on its own to be sure that all of the herbicide and insecticide has dissipated. If you have any wood chippings you might want to mix them in with the grass to help get it a bit more open and help it break down better.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

If you are an organic gardener and don't use pestcides and herbicides there is no concern. I use some grass clippings (most are left on the lawn when mowing) in my compost and also as mulch with good results.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.