For those who raise DUCKS. I have a question

Conroe, TX

At what age does a male duck get that curled feather on the tail?
So far our little duck, which we think is about 7 to 8 weeks old, does not have it.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

mine was obvious at about four months. pathchoulis duck should be getting his curl soon i think. by then, the male also wa a tiny bit bigger, enough for my son to notice "his head is bigger and he quacks different, must be a male"... about the same time i noticed the tail...

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Between 3 and 4 months. Listen to the quack is it a clear quack sound or a raspy whispery sound. The femals quack.

Foley, MO

Hmmm, maybe Aflak is a girl.

Conroe, TX

Thanks, I'll listen for the raspy whispery sound or the quack. So far there is no sign of a curled tail but it may be too young yet since this one is only 2 months.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

one day, it will just BE there...

Conroe, TX

Sort of appears magically huh

Foley, MO

I started to think Aflak was a boy, but now I have my doubts. It's difficult if you've never had ducks before. It was looking like a bunch of upper tail feathers were starting to separate from the lower ones, but now I'm just not so sure.

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

It will actually be only one or two feathers on the top of the tail. Does he give a good quack when you go to feed him?

Conroe, TX

Here are the latest pictures of Quackers. Gotten quite big and pretty whatever it is.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Conroe, TX

Another

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

OK, this is killing me.... Ideal has some extra asst ducks.... debating whether to add to my order... where am i gonna put TEN DUCKLINGS!!! my DH may fins some special gun powder for that chicken fairy...

Conroe, TX

They are so cute arn't they.....hard to resist.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I am finding it hard to resist it also, I do so love duck eggs for dinner.

Foley, MO

Smedge, without a doubt your Quackers is a Fawn and White Indian Runner with a crest!!!

Foley, MO

Aflak gives a loud quack every time he sees me in the morning. He also does this head bob thing to us. You can get him going if you say "ducky ducky ducky", he'll beep back at you quickly. Prolly a female 'cause there's no tail curl. I guess I'll try and get a male next year.

Conroe, TX

When we figure out what this one is we will probably get it a mate. Name it Cheese so we will have Quackers and Cheese.

Foley, MO

LOL smedge : )

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

I love it.....Quackers and Cheese! lol

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

whats the ball on its head???? (this ? is from someone who doesn't know much about ducks).

nice looking quacker....LOL

Janet

Foley, MO

Janet, that's just a crest ( a ball o' feathers), chickens can have them too.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks for answering my question. It is the cutes thing looks like a hat of sorts...LOL

I only know indian runners (Used them in herding for my collies)

Janet

Foley, MO

I know isn't it funny! I was telling Smedge it will look like a wine bottle with a cork when it's older. I love the way Runners look.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Since the thread is about ducks, have to show one of mine.

This is Eliza Ducklittle at 1 day old...and Momma. Thanks for letting me share.

Thumbnail by duckmother
Foley, MO

Awwww! I just love the ducks!!! Don't know why I never had them before.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Eliza must think you are the perfect duck mother, duckmother!

Thank you for the kind comments.

Here she is at 2 months, in her little patio pool...

Thumbnail by duckmother
Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

duckmother......she is beautiful! What kind is she? I love that silver head!

Christy

Conroe, TX

What a beautiful duck, duckmother. Don't you just love the way they turn their head and look at you. You can tell that eye is looking right at ya.

Thank you. Ducks are not given enough credit...they are smart, loving, playful and (most) have a great sense of humor! Many of breeds make great pets and good watch dogs...ummm...watch ducks. ;o)

Eliza is a North American Wood Duck. I rehab baby ducks in the spring and then release them into the wild (unless they are domestics and then I find them a farm home.) Eliza had left home but we brought her back for more rehab when she was injured by another duck. She will leave home, soon...and I will cry again.

She turned 3 months this past Sunday...Showing her colors. The males have a lot more coloring!

Thumbnail by duckmother
Foley, MO

Wow Duckmother Wood Ducks are truly one of the most beautiful! Especially the males. I agree with your comments about the ducks being underrated. They are very smart and Do indeed have a great sense of humor and fun. I think mine are funny when an airplane passes overhead. They all cock their heads to the side and look up for a better view. Also, all you have to do is add water and there is a HUGE duck party. Can't get any more fun than that!

OK dang it, I have a gold fish pond that is fishless and I could go for a couple swimming amongst my garden around it. DANG.

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

uh oh....someone might be making another call........

Christy

No no call, I can get ducks locally. NO NO NO

Are you looking for one that is not as talkative as a call? Do you want a medium or large breed? There are tons of domestics!

Ones that are not noisy but cute and fun. And lay eggs. I love duck eggs.

Look up a Khaki Campbell. Not very noisy but will alert you to a stranger. Can lay 365 eggs a year for up to 7 years.

Oh gosh yes, that would be my dream.

Foley, MO

WooHoo Luvs2! Oh yes, you'll love them! I think you should TOTALLY get ducks! I'm glad I did. I have a Crested Blue Swedish; Anda, a Crested Khaki Campbell; Reggae, a Crested Black Cayuga; Rasta, a Black and White Mandarin; Pengin, a Fawn and White Indian Runner; Pinot, and of course, my white Pekin, Aflak : ) They are all AWESOME and fun. The only con is the mess, but that has its perks too 'cause it's fun to watch them make the mess!

Oh gosh I can have that many. I would have to stand guard just to keep the GP from wanting to play with them

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.