Source for bulbs in europe

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

can I got tip of any Source who sell hippestrumbulbs in Europe, thank you?
I look for Hippeastrum Donau
Picture my Hippeastrum pardinum

~Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren

I have at least 20 of these bulbs, but cannot legally ship them internationally. Sorry... :-(

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Lucky you Gordo
:o)))

Lucky you, Sylvia :0)))

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You could try this site here, I think they send to Europe, it's the same people who have the other site but it seems they now have two. They also sell on ebay. I don't know if the site is up to date but you could email.

http://hippeastrum.co.uk/5.html

This is the original site, but it looks like it's being revamped.

http://www.hippeastrums.co.uk/

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Thank you Wallaby I shall look at this site.
Sylvia

Ewing, VA

Andy is a member in GW amaryllis forum for a few years now. Him and his associates used to run the older website of hippeastrum.com.uk. He used to do business I think with Veronica Read too. The last info I had about him is that they or he was granted the run or maintain the Royal Collection of Hippeastrum in UK. So he must be very busy or re-organizing his stocks. He does have quite an extensive collection of hippeastrums both species and hybrids in UK. Try emailing him Sylvia. Andy is very nice.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi Maria
Yes I have do, and Andy have answer, very nice, he was buzy and shall come back to me.
Iīm very happy for this tip from you and Wallaby
Now I perhaps come a little bit closer a new Donau.

You to are very nice too.

Sylvia

The image below flower today, itīs Lemon and Lime

Ewing, VA

Well thank you Sylvia!

Is Sweden strict on incoming live plant materials like bulbs? seeds?

That's a very pretty Lemon Lime. It seems to have rounder petals than my Lemon Limes. I love that green color. So refreshing... :-)

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hi Maria
Yes it is very strict to take in bulbs and plants in Sweden,

but seeds have never been any problem.

There is no restriction for us to buy from EU-countries.

From USA, Austrilia, New Zeeland, Thailand on so on, it needs healthness-certificate.

My Lemon-Lime blooms with much smaller flowers than Yellow Goddes but YG are better to bloom. I had a Germa earlier but that one was very difficult to get to Flower, later on it died for me.

Right now it is only Lemon Lime that flower here, we have got very much rain and only about degree 50F very cold, but the rain, was good it haveīnt got any rain for about 6-8 weeks, it was very dry outside, and even big tree start to wilted in the drought .
Now I have got water again in my water barrel, thats good.

Sylvia

You must have had the same weather we had Sylvia, it hailed very heavily and rained off and on all day. We had a good 1.5 inches, about 40mm or rain which we badly needed too.

It was cool here today too, only 58F, under 15C at midday but the sun's coming out a little now.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Yes wallaby, the worse is the cold, I have slipper on my feets inside i the middle of the summer itīs out of senses.
But the rain is good the get, we got 12 mm yesterday and 25 mm last night.
Now I think all outside shall start to grow again.

Ewing, VA

Hi Sylvia!

Somebody in UK is selling hippie seeds on Ebay USA. You might want to check him out or email him. He might have some bulbs (hopefully a Donau)for sale. Good luck again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fresh-Hippeastrum-Amaryllis-Venusto-Seeds_W0QQitemZ360070312756QQihZ023QQcategoryZ1510QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We can also post a thread in Gardenweb Amaryllis Forum about your search for a bulb supplier in Europe. We have some European members there too that might be able to help you.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Yes thanks Maria, didīnt think of Gardeweb, I shall look there too. Iīm not in that forum so often.
Also look at the Ebay seller

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I had contact with Andy and he say he had a Donau-bulb for trade to me.

And then I send him 8 bulbs of different hippestrum species for trade, and he should send me one bulb of Donau.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 3:35 AM

That's not good! In fact that is very bad! His partner is Junius who collects the species, Andy collects the hybrids. I have been in touch with Junius but he hasn't had any that I wanted available, he sells Worsleya when he gets them but they are expensive.

This is not good publicity for them, when did Andy say he would be sending you Donau? 8 species bulbs was a very good trade for them!

Have you contacted to ask why?

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Yes I have talk to Andy three or four times,
one time he have forget because a friend of his has just had a baby he say and he have been ferrying people to and from to the hospital, so he havent really had time.

But He say, Im hoping to get some bulbs packed up this weekend, I will hopefully send out to you on monday that was the 1th august.

Next time: He say Iīve been away on holiday for the last 2 weeks. I completely forgot to reply to you. But Ive got bulb ready for you, but at the moment Im just catching up on replying to emails, get bulb packed up for you, and sent off to you by the weekend. That whas 8th september

Next time: Ive got bulb ready to send to you, probably on monday now. That was
13th september.

18 september was next time I ask him why he haveīnt send, he say that he slipped at work and have broken his wrist this time.

I look in my post every day and go sorry every time, no parcel. AND now I dont believe him anymore.

I think this is very bad. And I shall put out to every Swedish people who visit my homepage www.hobbyodlaren.com that not buy from him, his homepage or Ebay

I saw, and I think that it is him, who sell on Ebay alias gardeningextras*co*uk I think itīs him, because the Item location was Evesham, United Kingdom.

So I think he have not the time to send to me, perhaps he sell the bulbs from me on Ebay too.

I am very sad for real.

Sylvia

It does sound like one excuse after the other! The broken wrist I don't think I believe, nor any of the other excuses. I think your Homepage will reach more than Swedish people, I have come across it when googling.

It is them selling on ebay, but I think it's Junius who does that (could be wrong). I'm wondering if he knows what his other half is doing! I wouldn't put it past him selling your bulbs, if his behaviour so far is anything to go by!

I know what it's like to constantly be waiting for something in the post, it has happened to me on ebay before but not with them, I haven't bought from them and probably won't do now. They belong to a lot of organisations, Yahoo Worsleya group, I think also the Hippeastrum group, Intenational Bulb Society, possibly Pacific Bulb Society too. It doesn't do to treat people badly as word can soon travel!

Perhaps I should email Junius to see what he says, will do that now and let you know what happens.

OK, I have emailed Junius and sent a copy or your last post to him. We shall see what happens!

Ewing, VA

Oh my goodness! That is so bad! I'm so sorry to hear that Sylvia. I have lots of Donau seeds (crosses) if you are interested in growing them. I'll send you some if you like. I'm just a D-mail away! I'll try to ask my friends in Holland and Germany too if they have extra Donau bulbs to trade. If those don't work out, I'll smuggle to you a Donau bulblet...lol! You will just have to wait for this next season. My Donaus are just new and are not giving out any bulblet yet. Quite strange for they have such big bulbs now 33-34cm with no bulblets at all.

Geeeezzz...What a woman has to go through just to get a Donau. Nobody deserves such treatment.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 3:40 AM

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

And Mariava you are so nice too. We will see next spring if I have got any bulb of Donau.

Well I got a reply from Junius, I think self explanatory:

"Hi Janet,

Yeah, that's real bad form, to say the least.

I'm not actually working with Andy any more - he owes me quite a heap of money, but we are still in contact.

I have a new website which is going to have the best and biggest Hippeastrum for sale, some are there already. It's:
www.tropicaltemptations.eu

You can put it up on Dave's Garden if you like as I'm a primary supplier of Worsleya to everybody.

I'm very sorry your friend got a bad deal - I'll try and fix it by getting her a Donau if I can. I'll see what I can do. Don't like this situation at all.

Thanks for letting me know,
Kind regards,
Junius"

I hope this all works out for you Sylvia!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Perhaps Junius can help me with Donau
Thank you very much.
Sylvia

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 3:42 AM

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 3:43 AM

You won't get anything from him Sylvia, I have heard all those excuses before! It is a bad thing for people like this to be able to rip you off so easily, but with sites like Daves, and your own site, you can make his future trickery more difficult for him.

I sincerely hope that Junius can, and will get you the bulb.

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

I begin to understand that now Wallaby. It harm me that I send so easy to him. Not for the money I spent on shipping, more for my own hybrids I have made cross of Lemon-Lime x Donau, which I send to him, my Maud Sylvia and Anna Sylvia, I dont allow him this bulbs. So that harm me a lot.

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Hippeastrum/cultivars/H_MaudSylvia/H_MaudSylvia.html

But I shall still going to mail him day after day so he be very tired of my mail, and I shall warn other people true DG and my homepage for his business.

:o)

Such a beautiful flower on Maud Sylvia! You must be very proud of that, and I can understand that you are more than dissatisfied at having sent these to him. I wish I had known about him, I feel a little responsible! :(

Yes I would do the same, but he may end up barring your emails. You can annoy him though until he does that!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Yes itīs a beauty look at another from the same seedpod as Maud Sylvia flower the first time this year
http://www.hobbyodlaren.com/hipanna.html
named after my daughter, I wait exact 8 year to get flower in it :o)

Another beauty! 8 years is a long time to wait, but the time passes anyway, lol. I had some Dierrama Blackbird flower in the 7th year from seed, couldn't believe my eyes!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Wooaw is it a one like http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Dierama/Dierama_Blackbird/Dierama_Blackbird.html
what color very beautiful, a bulb I never heard about. DG is a great sourch to learn about many kind of plants.

That's what it looked like in the seed catalogue, Mr Fothergills! As mentioned on PBS, that pic is darker than some, in fact mine was very PINK, lol, but had very dark filaments! I had two stems with many flowers, got a lot of seed too! If you would like some....I can send you some, they should be sown in autumn, I put them in a cold greenhouse and they germinate in spring.

That one is way ahead of others I have, another from seed D. Guinivere but that might flower next year! One I bought ~ D. pendulum which has only managed one smattering of flowers since I bought it in flower, but the colour was a very unusually lilac-blue. It grows very well though!

I have them all in large, deep pots, the organic compost I grow them in may produce a different colour, but I think my Blackbird could be another one. I love it though! It was quite tall with dangling rods of flowers, two stems!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Ewing, VA

Hi Sylvia! I came across this nursery in UK and they have Donau. Check it out! Wallaby might know who they are or any info about them.

http://www.unwins.co.uk/hippeastrum-donau-pid1569.html

Unwins have been around for as long as I can remember, as seed merchants. They have San Miguel too!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Wallaby I saw that Dierama is called "Angels fishing rod" in Sweden. Thanks for offer seeds, but I pass.
And thanks Maria for tip of Unwins, I have never seen this before, and I have goggle many times for Donau, I shall try this company.

Sylvia

Ewing, VA

You're most welcome Sylvia!

Now if you get to see a source of the Japanese Super Minis, don't forget to inform me...LOL!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Maria,
I have a flowerfriend in Japan, we dont speak very often, but we have trade oxalis with each other, I shall mail him about Hippestrum japanese :o)

If you run over Dioscorea discolor tell me. I have search this year for a bulb. :o) One woman in Texas have it, but she want dare to send to Sweden :o(

Now I have order a bulb to Donau :o) jipppeee

Ewing, VA

Sylvia,
Some sources for your Dioscorea discolor is right here in DG...

http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/1350/

Ewing, VA

Aha! I just emailed sombody on Ebay UK for you. He is selling other kinds of Dioscorea, I inquired if he has the discolor or maybe a source of it. Let's wait for his/her reply.

And while waiting for your Donau, here's a Donau for you...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And another Donau with Sydney...

Thumbnail by mariava7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.