Rain, rain go away . . .

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

There is soooo much I want to do in the gardens - but it seems like it is raining every day - what's happening where you are?

When does too much rain start to harm our plants?

South Hamilton, MA

I'm with you. However we got a break today & much was done. very tiring though.

North Augusta, ON

I love the rain!!

Everything is lush and green, the flowers are lasting longer than ever. Rain, glorious rain.

South Hamilton, MA

At the moment glorious weeds. Rain can return after more weeding finished. We will probably be hollaring for it in Aug.

North Augusta, ON

Maybe I'm weird, but I just weed in the rain...hafta take the dogs out in it, so I figure why not?

Depends if it is warm rain or cold rain.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Michaela--good question about when does too much rain start to hurt our plants. I'm wondering this myself, since we've had rain on the Cape off and on for days. . . mushrooms are starting to sprout in my lawn and I can practically hear the weeds breaking the surface of the mushy ground. And there's a low rumbling as the snails and slugs mobilize for action. . .yet the scenery is lush and green, and the hydrangeas are an impossibly beautiful blue. I too weeded in the tepid rain this afternoon; too good a chance to pull those tough ones up easily from the soft ground. Only when I came inside did I notice that my white oversize shirt had become transparent in the wet.

South Hamilton, MA

Here near Cape Ann we are also getting a big mushroom crop in the lawn. I did a great deal of iris bed weeding today with a cloudy sky. The impatiens we got off the "free cart" at the garden center look great. Just dead headed them & lo & behold color. Have to trim back our two roses though.

(Zone 4a)

Oh gosh yes even up North we have had tons of rain which makes for many mushrooms on the lawn! Also I have notice many plant leaves going yellow in my baskets etc due to the rain I am sure! All I can say is move your baskets and containers to places they won't receive rain however the perennials I have no advice for....sorry

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm glad we finally got some rain, we hadn't had any significant rain in a week or so.

(Zone 4a)

However I should say we ARE due for a few good days of sun! This global warming is killing us - I hate to say it but it is! Comments?

The US in all - floods in the middle of the country, fires on the west coast, water diminishing in the south, China earthquakes, sunami's and just strange bad stuff happening every where.

Didn't we lack in the April showers, It was so dry like 3 weeks ago everyone up here was crying for rain.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The flip side is what is happening down here. We have had little rain for the month of June. This is our third drought year and this year is supposed to be worse than the same time last year. Parts of Georgia had no measurable rain for the month of June. It was also unseasonably hot. The combination has meant that our wildlife is suffering, our farmers are enduring terrible crop failure and we are losing our yards and gardens. Many who can afford to do so are installing wells. The debate is on as to whether the "haves" are draining the aquifers of the "have nots".

As is the case with other states, our state supplies water to another (Florida). If we conserve water for ourselves, the fisheries and water supplies of northern FL and the Gulf of Mexico suffer. There has been battling going on back and forth because our outdoor water usage has gone from restricted to banned and back to restricted. After a major conservation campaign, Atlanta announced that the surrounding counties had done so well in conserving water that they are raising water rates to cover the cost of water treatment!

Enjoy the water. It's a precious commodity. Hard to appreciate during those wet years, I know, but when you don't have water and your usage is controlled there are not many options.

L

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

You are so right Laurel! Up in the area where I live, the DEP has control of critical water resources for NYC. You cannot even get near those protected places. Even though it's water in our back yards, it is dedicated to the people south of us. When we have dry years, we always worry that our private wells will dry up. Even worse are the concerns of draw down pulling in contamination from poor land use years ago.

We have neighbors who think nothing about topping off their swimming pool with well water, unconcerned about the effects on those of us using the same aquifer - especially during drought years. The uncontrolled development and impervious surfaces are contributing to the problems as well, since what is being withdrawn or running off, isn't being replaced.

OK, off my soapbox! We really need to be more aware of water use. I hope things get better for you soon. That's one of the factors we are considering when we get ready to retire to the south.

- Lynn

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here, nearer Boston, I don't recall it raining so much during the day. Lots of thunderstorms at night, lots of threatening-looking muggy weather, then 17 raindrops, then everything needs watered anyway. LOTS of weeds, and yes, mushrooms. Too bad they're not the kind you can eat!

South Hamilton, MA

Water problems all around the country.Too many people moving into the drier west and just think of the drought in the SE.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

We have the mushrooms growing too, and our one rose bush that blooms, well,m its blooms look kinda rusty on the edges. I think we have had just a bit too much water.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Candyce, what do rusty roses look like?
signed,
a beginner

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

LOL, Carrie.

I don't think I have a photo of them, but the edges of the flower petals are brown. Does that help you envision what I mean?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OH! My whole buds are turning brown before they even open..... sad, because the buds WERE there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.