Will single plant develop other shoots?

(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Ya know, my one and only conflower plant has 3 blooms. The biggest and oldest will soon need deadheading. That will leave two blossoms. This plant is quite tall, but I don't see anywhere on the plant where a new stalk/blossom is even beginning to grow. Once I deadhead all my blossoms, it would appear, at least now, that I'd have nothing but a bare plant left. LOL. Is this a common thing when only a single plant is present?

TIA
Cissy

Update: I deadheaded one flower head as it was spent. Now, I have two blooms left

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Bare plant? I guess - you mean no future flowers stalks present? that is totally possible. I have a few that only have 4-6 leaves in total.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 2:05 PM

Yes, bigcity, that correct. I see no more present - just the two stalks with some leaves, of course. Each talk has it's own flower head.
Thanks! I'll take a picture to post.

Cissy

Ok, here is pic of coneflower plant. I'll post a second one - closeup of empty stalk where I deadheaded.

Thumbnail by Sis_E

Here is closeup of stalk where I deadheaded coneflower. NO where on the plant can I see any new shoots forming.
Thanks!
Cissy

Thumbnail by Sis_E
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks right to me, you may or may not get any more flowers this year to let you know.

Ok, bigcity.......I can live with that boohoo :( lol

Cis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.