Happy Fourth of July Everyone

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Fourth of July Y'all!!!!!!! Hope you had a good day with family, friends, food, and fireworks!

Feel free to share your good wishes here if you like!!!!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Whooohoooo!! Happy 4th ^_^ Be safe and a have a great time!!!

Vieques, PR

A day to show your red...

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Happy 4th, everyone!

Vieques, PR

...white...

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 6:56 PM

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 6:56 PM

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Vieques, PR

...and blue.

Thumbnail by JPlunket
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Happy 4th!
Another red...

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

...white...

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

... and blue!

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

And on a more "flowery" approach:

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

and

Thumbnail by goofybulb
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy 4th everyone!! My 4th is tomorrow at work but I will enjoy what little I will be able to see from here tonight. Already one neighbor has set off a loud M-80. *sigh*

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Pepper, here's some more fireworks for you! Hugs!
Alexandra

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hope everyone had a great day! Spent it with family. Mom and I watched the fireworks on TV from Houston. People are still shooting the firecrackers off.

Thanks to everyone who shared their lovely pictures and well wishes!!!!!!

Best wishes to everyone for a great summer!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

i just now see that I forgot the last blue...

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is so pretty! Thanks Alexandra! Hope you had a good day!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We had a very nice evening. Best friends of over 40 years, cousin, grandson....lots of good eats and memories. Unfortunately, there were illegal fireworks in the neighborhood and the police were out. We are in the city and there are too many homes at risk. We did make another good memory.

We are a blessed nation even with all the turmoil of today.

Christi

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

My day wasn't too great, since I was home alone. I spent my time talking on the phone (you would be surprised to find out that my MIL and FIL called to see how we celebrate the 4th), talking to my plants (and feeding them), and entering in my journal all the seeds I received in my newbie pack a couple of months ago. Now I'm waiting for my hubby to wake up, so we can have a nice dinner together and plan for tomorrow. I want to go to the Rose Garden, so hopefully that's what we'll do.
Oh, and I saw a few fireworks from the garden, but when I tried to take some pics, I found out that the batteries were dead. Bad girl, Alex, if you would have taken pics of your plants recently, you would have known!!!
Well, next year will be better!
I hope you guys enjoyed every minute of it!

Hugs,
Alexandra

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I know it's a little late, and I also posted this in the Florida Forum, but this cactus was contibuting to the show this past weekend!

Thumbnail by fauna4flora
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

F4F, do you have pics with the fresh blooms? Or they are too short-lived? It looks like a great plant!

This is in my neighbor's yard, and I am guessing that this cactus is probably night blooming. I know the flower itself unopened isn't that spectacular, but I thought the effect was still pretty cool. Maybe I'll try to get an ID on the cactus forum.......

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I like the way it hugs the palm tree!. Maybe your neighbor would want you to come over and celebrate the blooms? ;o)
Alexandra

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is neat the way it hugs the tree! I bet it's really pretty when the blooms are open! How neat!

I did post for an ID in the cactus and succulents forum. I'm sure an answer will come to light as to the identity. I just recently found out I had a variety of the real night blooming cereus and had no idea- apparently a couple of species are called that. I confess I know very little about cactus. One thing I can tell you is that this species is likely epiphytic- thus the reason it "hugs" the palm trunk. And once we get an ID, I am sure my neighbor would probably be happy to share. It should make a nice hanging basket if you don't do what I did which is toss pieces at the base of a tree!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Uhh, if tossing it at the base of the tree gives the result you show, then forget about hanging baskets! But probably doesn't work for everybody, you're lucky with the weather (oh, sweet humidity!)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We have humidity, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "sweet". It's so high at times it's hard to breathe. I think the plants like it for the most part tho........

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, if you take into account that I moved from 90% to 9% humidity, and my nose protested for weeks, then sweet is it's name! ;o)
Alex

One thing that can be "sweet" about humidity- a lot of my fragrant plants' scents are carried in the air thanks to the humidity.

Well, think the cactus folks got an ID - check out Selenicereus grandiflorus. I have got to go back and visit that thing at night!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Enjoy and take the camera with you! Like an eye extension for us living far, far away!
Alexandra

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Once you get used to one climate it's hard to change to another. My daughter had the same problems when she moved to the desert in Calif. years ago.

I have breathing problems, so between the heat and the humidity it just takes my breath when I go out there.

The fragrances are wonderful!!. My white butterfly ginger and plumeria are in bloom, and they are WONDERFUL!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I am told that I am weird, that humidity is bad for your breathing and asthma. But to me, after several years of medication for asthma in Romania, in Miami, for 6 years, I didn't use it once. Now I have difficulties (and they are not coming from the nose) in breathing again, maybe it's not necessary the dryness, but the dust, a different type of dust. Who knows, I'll probably go for a checkup soon. But let's leave this nasty stuff aside, and while we wait for F4F to come back from her neighborly visit (!!!with pictures!!!), how about Jeanne sending us some fragrance in photos?
;o) Cheers,
Goofy

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a little bouquet of white ginger that just smell "Heavenly"! Sure you could smell it! It is out of this world!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Plumerias used to be my favorite, but now I think the white ginger is!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

They are both gorgeous, and I think I can feel a trace of scent!
To my shame, while in Miami, I didn't try any of the famously scented plants: brugs, daturas, plumies. Now I wanna try them, but I'm scared as hll.
F4F, please come back from your neighbor!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Alexandra, the white ginger reminds me closely of a Gardenia, maybe a little sweeter! Shari says they are "intoxicating", I totally agree! WoW!

Fauna, where art thou?

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Mmmm! I should put it on may want list then!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Definately!

Who, me? Sorry to dissapoint- been spending the last few night prepping my DH for his talk at an upcoming horticultural conference this week. My five year old is mad at me, too. No time for Chutes and Ladders- he is feeling very left out even though I promised him treats for this weekend. I peeped as I drove by this morning- still some blooms left. Maybe Friday..........

Love the white ginger. I recently bought seeds from GardenGirl- guess it may be next year till I get to enjoy.

Goofy -what were you scared of? I will admit that those plants were just 'around' until DG. Now I am getting mad with trying to collect as many as I can!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Nothing to be afraid of! Just put them in the potting soil and watch em grow!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

heavy drinkers, heavy feeders. I'm no good with that!
Plus I have to figure out if they do in my zone + desert-y (though it rained in the last 3 days with an unbelievable force)
I'm a beginner and they should not be wasted! I need to grow up a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.