Local source for Erythrina x bidwillii?

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi,

Does anyone know of a local source for Erythrina x bidwillii?
I saw a display plant at a nursery and loved it but they were sold out.
I'm in North GA, just outside of Atlanta. I may take a trip to Athens soon so any place there or on the way would be good too. I've called Randy's and Habersham so far to no avail.

Thanks much,
Danita

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Danita,
Happy 4th. Here it is in plant files. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56753/ 3 vendors have it if you want to order online. Looks like something you'd have to bring indoors in winter, but very pretty.
Becky

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi, Danita - There is a person offering an auction of a related plant, erythrina herbacea on ebay now. It seems very similar, but smaller. Plant files states hardiness to zone 6. I recently dug some of this up from a wooded area & moved it to my yard - has a large tuber for a root. Has come back nicely after transplanting, and the clump I got it from was quite large - seemed to have been there a long time. The flowers were beautiful - caught my eye while driving past at 50+mph. Hope it's happy in my yard! Samantha

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Becky,
Yes, I had checked out the mail order sites and two places were out of stock and one had 2 plants. I was hoping to find one locally to save on shipping but then decided to order from the one nursery anyway so I should have one soon.

Hi Samantha,
I got an Erythrina herbacea last fall on a clearance sale and am anxious to see it bloom next year. I guess it wasn't big enough this year. Erythrina x bidwillii is actually a hybrid between herbacea and the tropical Erythrina crista-galli. As a result it is sterile so it blooms from May to frost with the most unbelievably red flowers I've ever seen. Pictures don't seem to be able to capture the color because none of the photos I've seen online show it well. I think it should be barely ground hardy here. I hope so anyway!

Thanks for both of your responses! :)
Danita

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Danita - I often end up doing the same thing!! I hope it will prove to be worth the expense in your yard, & be beautiful! Samantha

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Danita, you might want to check with "Tyme after tyme" in Athens, they carry a varity.Mike

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mike, but I succumbed to temptation and bought one from Zone 9 Tropicals. I don't typically like mail order because you usually get tiny plants. However when I asked the owner how big their plant was, he said it would really need trimming to fit in it's 3 foot tall shipping box!

I do want to take a trip to Athens sometime to see the UGA trial gardens, botanical gardens and 'Thyme after Thyme.' Gas is so pricey though, it would be good to find another plant geek and carpool.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Here she is, just out of the box from Zone 9 and given a drink of water. Okay, I'm ready for some blooms now! :)

Thumbnail by Danita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.