ID Help

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I have a single plant growing at the edge of a flower garden. I have no idea what it is but know I didn't put it there.

Thumbnail by gk1153
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

the yellow one looks like Coreospis. The purple one that is kinda hidden is clover.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

After I came in with the picture I noticed the purple bloom hiding. It is part of the planned flower garden planted three years ago. There is a ring of them, allium [if memory serves] surrounding a man-made hill between a telephone pole and guy wire. The stem is 2' long. The bloom is bent over by the wind. We planted two Shasta daisies on the hilltop this spring.

The plant is 16" tall. I haven't seen anything like it nearby, or anywhere else for that matter [I admit I wasn't looking], so I'm thinking it is a "gift" from a bird passing by. Perhaps some kind of wildflower?

Gary

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The yellow-flowered plant is goatsbeard, Tragopogon spp. - a genus of weeds introduced from Europe by agriculture. You'd have to post a close-up of the flower to get it down to the species. EDIT: And, btw, the seeds are wind-borne, just like dandelion seeds.

The purple one is an allium, likely Allium aflatunense.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 5:06 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.