Jade vine or emerald creeper

townsville, Australia

Hi all, I havn't been here for such a long time, no excuses.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes a jade vine to flower.
I have one climbing vigorously over my carport that I planted about two years ago, it is strong and very healthy and seems to love the spot it is in, I just can't find any info about how long before it flowers. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi tropical3, I just returned from a trip to Cairns, where I saw a few Jade vines around. Just beautiful! I so wish I could grow one here, but apparently they will only grow down as far as Mullumbimby! Bummer! I cant help you with your question on flowering, but imagine if it is vigorous it should be too long until flowering. It has room to hang it's flower spikes yeah?
Please post a pic for us when it does bloom.
Sue
ps, noticed green ants on both vines in different locations, is that what pollinates them?

Thumbnail by weed_woman
townsville, Australia

Thanks Sue, I have my vine growing on wire up the side of and over my carport, I did see a beautiful Jade vine laden with flowers once on a wire fence at queen's gardens in Townsville, but since going back havn't been able to find it or anyone around to ask. I am going to cooktown next month, I will stop at Cairns for a look, did you see the vines at the botanical gardens?
I ordered the vine from a local independant nursery run by two lovely blokes who have since sold up, I have learnt my lesson and will be full of questions next time I delve into something exotic instead of saying 'oooh that's pretty can I have one" then spend the next couple of years scratching my head!
I will also keep the green ants in mind, interesting... Thanks Michelle.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Michelle, yes the Flecker Botanical gardens has one toward the back of the garden, grown over the rest rooms of all places. Good luck on finding out the secrets!
Sue

townsville, Australia

YAY!!!!!!!!! I cannot describe the feeling when I got out of my car to see the little flower spikes, I called my partner and he noticed a more mature version in the grass at the bottom of the vine....so to answer my own question...couple of years, I guess, depending on conditions...or luck. Can't wait for them to open up to their full glory, we are heading off camping for a few weeks, just hope they are still there when we come back.

Thumbnail by tropical3
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Congratulations! I hope they are still there for you. Get a neighbour to take a photo for you incase! LOL

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Jade Vines are pollinated by bats, the ants are probably just going after the nectar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.