Do Tigerlilies Seed?

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

Hi in my back yard there are tigerlilies there, They have been here since I moved in. Every year it seems they spread more & more. Do they spread by seeds or roots?
tamlamb

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Tigerlilies get black seeds about the size of a pea. They are located on the leaf where it is attached to the stem.They drop off and root themselves. The folowing year they look like blades of grass growing. The first year I grew them I weeded all the baby Tigers out thinking it was grass.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Gather those seeds asap and let them dry out and get to trading . LOL I agree whole heartedly with the info that snowhermit told you. The seeds are so easy to spot as they are on the stalk just staring right at you. Enjoy and good luck with harvesting them. Then, you will be able to trade them later or plant them where you really want them to come up. pam aka Lazy Daisy

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

question when the pods opean on tigerlilies does the seed need to be spread out to dry more
thanks dave719

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Dave, The Tigerlilys don't get pods. They get individual black seeds which you will see on the leaf where it joins the stem. You can put them on a paper towel or a brown grocery bag or newspaper for about a week and they should be ready to trade. They start to sprout very quickly so I have never tried to save them. I usually pick them off and put them in a place I want them to grow.Hope this helps.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Just a question are your Tiger lilies , like the Lilium? Or are they like the daylilies?? I always called mine(daylilies, very tall with 4-5 foot scapes with large orange blossoms)), tiger lilies and the arent. Tiger's are different, but some do grow wild. I would think that the daylilies would grow faster and multiply quicker than the tigers would. I would also think that the Tiger lilies would also seed as well producing the bulbils on the stem by the leaves, like the asiatics would. I have never grown lilys from seed, but I have heard that it can be done.

Here is a picture of the Tiger Lily

http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/bulbs/tiger.htm

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

these are like the orange ones and are day lily will pick seed tomorow morning they are just loaded thanks for the information dave719

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I want tiger lily seeds when someone has some to trade please. What colors do they come in?

What I call Tiger Lilies are an Asiatic Lily,...(with 1 tall stalk the smaller leaves sprout out of & a big onion-looking bulb under the ground, instead of the long grass-like leaves & fleshy orange roots of the daylily. None-the-less, I must say that I have had great success growing them from the bulbils (those black big seeds) that grow on the stalk but had no idea they could be stored long enough to trade them, so I learned something. Thanks! Another note: Monte Negro asiatic lilies also make those bulbils & that rich burgundy flower is easier to work into the color schemes of many beds than the orange hues of Tiger Lilies. I would be happy to trade those NEXT year (I already planted the 100 I gathered THIS year, not knowing they could be traded.)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I have taken the small bulbils and planted them in a 'holding bed' so they would not get disturbed and allow them to grow. They do take a bit longer to grow to blooming size. Although they have grown big enough occasionally to produce a bloom. They also can not be planted as deeply as you would a full size bulb...once they get large enough they can be planted at their proper depth special location in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.