I'm in love with a new plant, thanks to Mainer

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

My very first Japanese Iris came into bloom this week and I just could not believe how beautiful it was. I grow lots and lots of other flowers, mainily daylilies and irises, and nothing can compare to this bloom on Ensata Light At Dawn. The flower is large, so elegant, gracefrul and full of substance. A rain storm later in the day knocked my first bloom down off the plant and I picked it up and brought it indoors, placing it in a glass of water. It lasted several days and I would look at it every time I went past it. Looks like I may have to start a knew passion and move out some of my other plants to make room for more Japanese Irises. They are just lovely plants. Thank you Julianna for introducing me to them by sharing with me!

Linda

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Milwaukee, WI

You may already know this, but as I learned it the hard way I will share anyways. The Ensata iris is a water and acid soil lover. I sadly treated mine like your traditional bearded variety and lost two of the three I planted. Had I amended the soil with some peat and mulched heavier, I might not have failed. Best of luck with your new love, they are lovely and the latest bloomer.

Thumbnail by irisboerer
Raleigh, NC

I'm wild about JIs, but my first ones just bloomed for the first time...it only took 3 years! My entire yard has a pretty good slope. For anyone seeing this, JIs do take lots and lots of moisture - so not easy to grow on a slope! LOL

very easy to grow, like Mid America Gardens was growing sibs, at the boggy bottom of a slope!

they are not cheap, either, so don't expect to get them like you would older TB iris. Older JI iris can be found for $6 or so, that's the cheapest I've seen.

Lexington, SC

That is one of the most prettiest Iris's I've ever seen, WOW.....Lynne

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That is a gorgeous iris, Linda, and a nice picture of it.

Japanese irises can't grow in dry conditions, but they do well in your average garden soil. Add a little compost or composted manure to the planting hole and mulch heavily, and they will be fine, as long as other perennials do well in the area. If the leaves start to yellow, a shot of Mir Acid will take care of the yellowing.

Of course they will grow larger and taller with more water and fertilizer but they will grow nicely when grown just like your other perennials. If daylilies do well in a garden bed, so should the Japanese iris.

If you want to see some others come on over to the beardless thread. We are just getting into the JIs there.

Of course, it sounds like you're already hooked.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you ALL for the tips and hints about growing Japanese Irises. I'm grateful for any info you can share. Thank you for the compliment on my picture pollyk! You're right, I'm hooked already.

When Julianna sent me this plant, I went on-line and did a general search on the proper planting of JI. I read to dig them deep and line the hole with mulch/compost, which we did. I am a mulcher and all of my beds are annually mulched. I have had quite a bit of success, thank goodness, and Light At Dawn has prospered for me. Maybe beginners luck!!! Mainer - Julianna- sent me two others last fall, and they are slowly taking hold. Now to visit the Beardless Thread for more JI beauties to add to my beds!

Linda

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Linda, doesn't sound like beginners luck. Sounds like you did everything just right. After you're done with the beardless thread, Ensata Gardens has a lot of pictures..............

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's sib Reprise, reprising.

SORRY, I PUT THIS IN WRONG THREAD!

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 10:58 AM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Raleigh, NC

thats ok polly - we like it!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, thanks. Can't believe I did that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.