Repeats or Volunteers

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I thought there was a thread like this, but I couldn't find it.

I was surprised with a few of my plants this year. I actually had a Calla Lily come back and it's just starting to bloom! Everything I've read about them, say they are only perennial in zones 9-10! Go figure. I've mentioned before about the Poke weed invasion. I don't mind a few for the structure, but the rest have to go. I love that my Rudbeckia come back - not sure if they are perennial or annual as the tags are long gone, but boy do I love them. They make great cut flowers too. I had Freesia return as well as some gladiolus. I also had several annuals reseed; cosmos, California poppy, Consolida regalis 'Blue Cloud' and Moss Rose.

What about you?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Glads keep coming back, rescued a trumpet lily from under one of my hostas, don't know where that came from. Dug up a bunch of asiatics 2 years ago wasn't sure if they would come back but sure enough. All diff colors too, pretty neat!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Had a piece of a Vinca maculata drop out of a flower arrangement last year, fell underneath a decorative wooden chair I had the arrangement on. It overwintered underneath the chair, now in its second year, about 1.5' and still reaching out. All the plants in the arrangement which remained on the chair died as they were either zone 9+ or annuals, V. maculata is an annual here.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Nothing different this year. Same volunteers I don't want to see - mg's, Eupatorium Chocolate, etc.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my newest ones were snapdragons (some reseeded and some came back), celosia, strawflowers, and a mimulas.... the monkey flower really threw me

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

This year, as well as the past few years, wave petunias popping up in strange places (sidewalk cracks), squash of some sort, it's more than likely pumpkins or gourds that got picked up and pardon the pun, but dumped out by the birds (they grow sporadically everywhere), portulacca (it seeded, and is everywhere), DILL....HOLY CRAP O LA...DILL...had one of the "giant" dills go to seed last year, Theta's tail smacked it, seeds went everywhere...they grow everywhere, Bleeding hearts (everywhere), last fall I created a few "fall" patio planters with black and orange violas...I have them in a few places (especially the compost pile...lol.) I think that's about it for now...I'm sure something will rear it's ugly head...lol.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh!!! I forgot about the dill. Me too, but I love that it comes back. I love the smell on damp mornings when I sit with coffee on the patio. I also noticed a petunia in my front yard.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

A coneflower that planted itself just in the right spot, I love when that happens. It is about 5' tall and just has its first bloom with lots of branches and buds waiting. The NH Pink perennial geranium seems to be popping up all over the place too.

Thumbnail by ngam
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

very pretty

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

One well placed basil seedling, tons of cleome and the ever present MG's whose seed life is more than 80 years. Seedlings of asparagus that I ditch because they're not the ones we like, well sited snapdragons in cracks and Nicotiana in driveway cracks.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

aaahhhh Pirl you just brought back another childhood memory... my grandmother always had pansy growing up in the cracks in the sidewalk.... it always amazed me as a kid how she could get that to grow there... I thought she had some kind of magic... and used to yell at the other kids if they were stepping on the flowers while we were playing

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Thin fog just lifting here. No wind and 62 degrees. Hope to see a bit of the sun today.

Allison - I've had alyssum growing in the cracked driveway but now 'Zebrina' has taken over their spot. There's such a sweet little row of it but I know they'll grow up to 2.5' tall and I'll regret not zapping them sooner. We do have the pansies as well.

See you were even a gardener as a little child!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would call it more of an admirer .... don't think she would let me touch any of that stuff

:)

but she built the best forts for us

What a sweet sweet memory.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes... many sweet memories ... even on the rainy days she would move all the furniture and set up these huge forts inside... sometimes she used the dinning chairs with blankets over them.... and always used different things... she taught me how to make my first igloo out of snow..... and even hung a towel over the door to keep the inside warm... my guess would be... in poland to keep the food cold but not frozen but not exactly sure why she knew how to do that

Your stories remind me of the old quote:

God gave us memories so we might have roses in December.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats a beautiful quote Pirl!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is a volunteer coral bells. I had a bunch in the rose boxes and one on the other side of the house where the heucheras are. These ones have pretty flowers in May and June but really ordinary green foliage.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.