Mid Summer - What's do you have blooming?

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Meredith, lovely collage. I also love the color scheme, beautiful.
My pink delphs finally opened.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I love delphiniums -- and the ones pictured here are gorgeous! I've not had much luck growing them.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you staceysmom, I love your delphinium! I am very excited to have some delphinium for the first time this year : ) I grew them from seed last year and they are budding out now. I hope they end up being worth the trouble. They aren't like all the fancy ones here, they are a species one. So you never know they could be awful. I have a single 3" pot of a fancy blue one I started from seed this year, so next year I will have that hopefully.

Here is part of my butterfly garden today : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Tomah, WI

Everyone's gardens are so lovely! Just makes you want to sit & sip lemonade in them.

Meredith-Your delphiniums are gorgeous. Mine are toast. BooHoo.

Gemini- Your gardens are beautiful. How much space do you have to garden?

Hopefully, today we will finish cleanup in the yard and gardens. At least all the trees & branches are cleaned up.
About 10:30 Thursday nite the hail started. Quarter size. Didn't last very long but still destroyed alot of buds & blooms.
Sorry the pix is blurry.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow - that's a big 'un. I hope that none of the damage is permanent, mattsmom - my sympathies.

Thanks Meredith, this is my first year for delphs too. I didn't start them from seed though, I cheated and bought them from a garden center. I do wish I had the room to start seeds.
Becky that hail stone looks huge. Yup that would do a lot of damage. Sorry about your gardens.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Tomah, WI

That hailstone just happened to bounce into the garage. Wasn't about to go out in it to get one. All of my plants, other than in pots, are perennial. So they should be OK. Got some beautiful blooms today on some daylilies & lilies despite the storms. We also got over 8" of rain in 2 days.

Mattsmom, I wish I could take credit for those delphs in the pic but those belong to staceysmom. Aren't they beautiful? That hail is unbeleiveable, I've never seen hail that size in real life. I hope everything recovers, but you gotta love your day lillies right now. Tough as nails huh. One good reason for them being such great garden plants. : )
Staceysmom, don't forget there is always wintersowing. : )

Meredith, I have never tried wintersowing and don't know anything about it. I will definately look into that. Thanks.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

mattsmom, thanks! We're on an 18 acre parcel, but most is used for hay production. I have about 5 acres to play with though; Good grief, at the rate I'm going I'll use it- I've only lived here a year (it was a year May 1). That hail is big! Sorry to hear of so many buds and blooms destroyed.

staceysmom, you'll love wintersowing! I've been blown away by how easy seed starting can be.

I've been over exploring on the wintersowing forum already. Looks like fun!

My very first-est Stargazer lily - at least, I think that it's a Stargazer!

Taken at sunset.

Thumbnail by Pagancat

One of my 'Lauren's grape' poppies from the seed exchange - from Grampap, I think?

Edited to add - oops, it's a bigger pic than I thought.... sorry!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2008 8:11 PM

Thumbnail by Pagancat

My non-doubling Echinacea Double Decker. grrrr.....

Thumbnail by Pagancat

My non-doubling Echinacea 'Double Decker'... grrrr.....

Thumbnail by Pagancat

Hey! The message Doubled, though! Sorry!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

I didn't get my Lauren's grape poppy seeds planted :(
I see a 'few' double ech. in the bunch, I've never tried that one. I tried ws echinacea pallida this year and I can't tell if I have seedlings of it or weeds!

Day Lily: Ice Carnival

Thumbnail by wind

Pagancat, your stargazer is beautiful. Love the color of that poppy.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

wind. Love the Ice carnival. I have some small fans planted. No scapes yet. Looking forward to seeing them in person. Your's are just beautiful.

Strawberry Candy Daylily

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Daring Dilema Daylily with two bugs. Darn those critters!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A small patch of zinnias

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Yup, you're right Wind - there are some that doubled - it's not the way the advertisements showed it to look like, but I guess they're pretty cool anyway. I had some off-shoots of the pink ones that were white, and doubled kinda like the ones you noticed, but really disfigured. I've no idea why.

Due to circumstances beyond my control.... (my, that sounds official!) I wasn't able to wintersow this year, so I direct sowed those poppies... I want to say about May. You'll have to try them next year!

Greenwich, OH

American Revolution daylily .Took photo this morning.

Thumbnail by skimper
Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

wow, skimper, that is a striking daylily!

Bay Village, OH

Today's surprise bloom.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie

What a lovely surprise!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

skimper..what a beautiful daylily. On my wish list now!

Mascara DL

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Tithonia..

Thumbnail by artemiss
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Goldflame honeysuckle..

Thumbnail by artemiss

Wow everyones blooms are soooo pretty! Artemiss when did you start those Tithonia? MIne are only 6" tall and no flowers lol! I think I started mine too late. Here is some Mimulus cardinalis in front of my Jacob Kline. There was a hummingbird in one of the pictures but you can't see it - it just looks like a little blurr. But man do they love them! Everytime I spend more than 5 minutes near that part of the garden I hear one zoom over! BTW - The blue house is my neighbors not mine : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

meredith-
I started that Tihonia inside in march..I think what has helped the most is being along our driveway, which just bakes in the sun, and gets much warmer than the surrounding soil.
This was my first bloom, and the seeds I sowed directly are a bit behind..maybe a foot or two shorter.

Thank you Artemiss, Last year I started them indoors and they ended up growing so fast that they were quite leggy by the time I planted them in early June. So this year I started them much later. Now I think maybe too late! If yours took 4 months to get a bloom I think I am in trouble! The butterflies and hummers are going to be disapointed with me lol

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Nice photo great color,what are the smaller flowers in front of the Beebalm? and do the hummers go for them?

Thank you gardengus, they are also known as Scarlet Monkey Flowers. I think they look like little mouths making a funny expression. Almost like the old twizzler commercials with that big red mouth saying "it makes your mouth happy" : ) - Excepte these ones are shouting for help or somethin : )

I forgot to answer about the hummers, I think the problem here is they are at peak now and so are the Jacob Kline Beebalm so I don't think the hummers care much about them because they are too busy with the beebalm. They do have a long bloom period and seem to make a nice fill in plant for them in between flushes of their favorites. : )

This message was edited Jul 16, 2008 6:08 PM

There are so many beautiful pictures that it's getting hard to load this thread. So I thought I'd start a new one. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880262/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.