weed or what

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

These appeared earlier,droopy tops,now that some are ready to bloom they are straight up.
What is it?

Thumbnail by ge1836
Alfred, ME(Zone 4a)

I have about 15 of these growing also. No idea what they are. Was going to take a pic today and post it, but looks like I'm not alone. Might be something the birds planted ? They seem to be growing in one area that is shade to part shade among the Rhodies and Hydrangas. Never seen a weed like it in my area. Hopefully it is something nice and not a new invasive weed. kdcon

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tried to post it on Plant ID but cant find where.
I have been told it's Toad Lily but looked that up on google ,and NO WAY.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not sure what it is called, but I recall being told that this prehistoric plant is very invasive and near impossible to eradicate. This is one of two plants on which I resort to chemical warfare. I get a few sprouts around every year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It seems to only grow on the shady side of the house.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Trust me .... you do NOT want it :-)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

P.s. and you do not want to try to dig it out. It will multiply from the tiniest root remnant.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I LOVE my Roundup tank

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Also, I am having the most terrible time with this one ....

Lesser Celendine, Pilewort, Fig Buttercup

Ranunculus ficaria

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1961/

If you have it, you will need to use herbicide. The roots grow like long peanuts, and do not pull out. Then, each tiny bulblet becomes a vigorous new plant once the soil is turned.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the tip ,I can't help you with the other pests.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

You are most welcome.

I have resorted to digging out the perennials, washing off all the dirt, making sure that none of the weed roots are in there, then re-pot them for planting next year once I am sure I didn't plant any of the weed in there with it. Once all that is done, it is chemical warfare on that bed all the way. One bed at a time .......

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My perennial beds are new and not in the area of the weed which seems to confineitself to the area where the driveway and the sidewalk keep it from going anywhere else.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Jo Ann:

I don't know what that weed is either, but I'm glad I spotted this thread. I just found one of those growing down where I want to put my shade garden. Does it have slightly purple flowers?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

IT's a WEED
Further up the thread someone id'd the thing as a weed.
Said it was impossible to pull,and to treat with Roundup. as pulling only leaves small root hairs that make more weeds again.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I have these in one of our wooded areas. I'm waiting for it to bloom, but I believe it is a native orchid, rather more interesting than plain old weed.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Kathleen:

I would be interested in seeing close-up photos of what you have growing in your wooded areas, as our weed here is most definitely NOT an interesting, native orchid. (At least IMHEO)

Candyce:

I am not sure what color the flowers open up fully to be. I never let them get that far. I think that they are mostly creamy white?, but may have purple inside them when they open.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi willy
I used Roundup on everyone I could safely squirt.
They are lookin bad now.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Sweet!

Mine are all wilty and browned, too. It amazes me that they sprout up so far apart from one another. Opposite ends of my suburban backyard, it seems.

Still would be nice to know exactly what these buggers are. I will keep on looking. I seem to recall being told they were around with the dinosaurs.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good luck to us getting rid of them then.
I had to clue my girlfriend in, she theought they were toad Lily

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.