self watering tubs

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

someone at the RU asked me to post my directions on how we built these tubs

here is the link

http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

Thumbnail by onewish1
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Thank you,
When I was looking at your pictures I saw them and was going ask how you made them. I appreciate the link.
Donna

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had to add new posts .... they outgrew the 5 footers that are there.... and I already ate 2 cucumbers ... the leaves are huge... dwarfs my hand... in my crummy ground they would never look like this... Randy already said he is going to make me more next year... he is loving them too even though he won't eat any of it... he is trying to figure out how to put pumpkins in them next year

:)

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

That's great; I have crappy ground here also. I don't usually do veggies mostly because of the critters. This year I have some bush tomatoes and cucumbers, they're up on the very small back deck in regular pots. They're doing okay but nothing like yours.
I'm going to try and make those containers for next season. We'll see how I do. Tools don't like me much. The drill and I kind of get along but saws really hate me.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the link.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am the same way Donna... that's why I have honey

this weekend I will take an update picture for you... they are booming

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok here are some updates

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

i'd say they work well

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

can you see the pearl cuc .... it was a free pack of seeds from parks.... it seems strange

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

more maters

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you can see my cucs & some tomatoes in the left side of this photo... all had the same fertilizer... I would say the tubs win

Thumbnail by onewish1
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

OMG they’re enormous, I’ll say they work. Defiantly a good reason to have a fight with the saw. Then again maybe I’ll just come for dinner!
HaHa Just kidding. They really look great, I see, I want and I will do it.
Donna

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

go for it!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Why is it that they won't eat what we grow? I've been growing a spinach in a pot (at great personal trouble) (well, not that great) but he WILL NOT consider eating any! Tonight I had a little spinach salad. Spinach is his favorite vegetable - I guess only when it's frozen first! Looking REALLY good Allison, and Donna, we should just go for it I guess!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2008 7:51 PM

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I'm going to give it a try; it really doesn't look that hard. I couldn’t eat all those veggies but there’s always the kids, they don’t like to garden, (well I’m working on one) but they’ll take the veggies I can grow.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to sneak veggies in all our food... like he was a kid... he won't eat any of it willingly.... what he doesn't know... he will eat

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I do that too, but I can't be too aggressive about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.