Three Different Carmel Heuchera In Different Places

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't believe how different each one looks in different parts of the yard. Let me know how yours are doing.
Debbie
Carmel 1

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Carmel 2

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Carmel 3

Thumbnail by dlefferts
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

From the pictures, #1 has the best color. Are they grown in different light conditions?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes they are. They are in three different locations in the yard. I kinda like the color of each one. This is one of the reasons I like Heucheras to much.
Debbie

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like the coloring on number 1 the best also. Here is mine.... growing in full shade. On June 16th.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom

And here is a close up taken just today.

GayLynn

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice Caramel and very nice tag too! Same plant taken at two different times looks like two different plants in pictures. Very pretty coloring in both pictures though. I have Peach Flambe in full shade and it doesn't do anything for it's ability to produce the pretty peachy/red coloring. Looks like Caramel is a good one for full shade. I think we need to start different threads for different Heuchs and compare notes on what lighting conditions they do best in.

Thanks. I have been eyeing up that Peach Flambe for awhile now. But the only room I have left for it would be in full shade. I'll have to pass if it's not going to perform well there. Would love to see a picture of yours in full shade. Great idea of starting different threads for different heuchs and comparing them.

GayLynn

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

You know what??? I was watering everything yesterday and looked at those Peach Flambe in full shade and low and behold their color has improved! I don't know what's going on. It has been on the cool side here but we've had a few hot and humid days so maybe that's helped? I'm just baffled. I'll get a picture today or tomorrow and post it here. I should have gotten a picture earlier and then now so we could see the difference. I'm going to have to start doing that with a few of my plants I've noticed color variations on.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

medinac, love your idea about a different thread for each Heuchera. I'm just learning about them & now realize that you should plant them in a location that will bring out their optimum color. I wish to thank you for advising me of the best color on my Carmel . I've purchased so many this year-if I find one-it comes home with me. I've even started purchasing more of the same kind, because they looked so different at the nursery. Finally, I'm looking at the tags & if I have it, I pass on it.
Thanks
Debbie

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

GayLynn - I'm going to post my pictures of my Peach Flambe in a new thread so maybe we can start comparing notes on what conditions they grown best in.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Debbie - I've been growing Heucheras for awhile and have had my successes and share of failures. Don't know if it's light conditions, soil conditions or as I just found out from this website that black vine weevils love to eat their roots. For some of mine, I think that has been the case. My property used to be very low and wet and was filled with clay to bring it up so I have lots of clay down there. Heucheras definitely get you hooked. I think I would like to live closer to you so I could be one the lucky ones to get passed on to! I posted pics of my Peach Flambe in a new thread so we can start keeping track. I also have to post my sad and sorry looking Dolce Key Lime Pies to ask for help.

Great, crazy4plants started one on Marmalade also and posted a couple of pics.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

medinac,
I'm so glad you did, as I mentioned I thought it was a wonderful idea. I think that is a great way to find out about this wonderful plant-by Cultivar (starting to learn the correct terms.) I just within a couple of days purchased Peach Flambe. I will be on the look out for the tread-wanting to learn how to take care of it.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.