Passiflora Edulis, 'McCain'.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

This is a self-fertilizing, fruit bearing passion vine. My second crop is ripening with delicious, tart pulp. Marvelous mixed with icing for a cake, in yogurt as a dessert or scooped out of the shell, all by itself!

Thumbnail by bedouin
Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Bedouin, looks delicious, do you have a pic of the vine? I am growing three different types of passifloras this year, just curious, I'm sure the ones I have are not like yours! Clemen

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yummy!
I've never heard of McCain.

I have some edulis 'flavicarpa'. I don't have any fruit, yet, but hoping for some.

Do you have acidic soil? We have alkaline, so I hope mine don't turn out bland. The tart ones are SO good.

cmdelg, I'll take a photo of the vine when its sunny. Thank goodness for the rain, though its just 'spitting' at present! I'm still waiting for the Passiflora's trellis to be erected. Lying on the ground is certainly not doing it much good! Busy, busy DH.....

seedpicker. The vine is still in a large pot. I've modified the soil by adding a lot of sphagnum moss to it. Generally, we have very sandy soil. To reach alkalinity, we add sphagham moss & lots of manure mixture (home depot). Acid soil is very hard to maintain here. Southern Fl.'s base is coral, near the everglades the developers add muck; near the ocean sand tops the coral and we as gardeners spend our time modifying it and covering it with mulch throughout the year to try to retain moisture!!

A photo of the P. Edulis 'McCain' flower with a Gulf fritillary butterfly larvae enjoying lunch!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 11:16 PM

Thumbnail by bedouin

Great. :0) So maybe mine will be tart and tasty, too, despite being in alkaline soil.

I hope so!

I grew some pineapple guava, and they were not very tasty, at all. quite bland...I blamed it on the alkaline soil. They ones at the store are always so good!
-T

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hummm! I gotta get one of those! I have a passiflora but it's only ornamental. I love passion fruit, in Brazil we cut the fruit in half, sprinkle a little sugar and eat it with a spoon!

Beduin, thanks for the pic, do you think that is what I have, here is a pic, Clemen

Thumbnail by Clemen

I've just taken this photo of the vine. (10:37pm). I've re-wound it many times, trying to avoid cutting it back as I'd like it to be nice and long when the trellis goes up. It has a new crop of flowers - I'll take some more photos of the flowers tomorrow.
Clemen, do a Google search: 'passiflora flower galleries' . I'd be inclined to say yours may be a P. Alato Cerulea, but I may well be wrong.
Seedpicker, P. Edulis 'McCain' is sold by Logees Greenhouse. Its a self-fertilizing vine, needing no cross ferti. with another type in order for it to fruit.
robcorreia, I mixed the fruit with plain, low-fat yogurt today and treated myself! Delicious! Double tartness....
I have seeds from this fruit should anyone like to have some. D-mail me for particulars.

Thumbnail by bedouin

Will those grow in northwestern oklahoma?

Bubba-I'm thinking they wouldn't make it without protection. I am just a little more south of you(near Dallas), in zone 8a, and mine froze solid. Even the roots.

This time we planted them in an area inside the greenhouse, so they won't freeze...

Thank you Bedouin for that picture, mine is definetely not your vine, will do the google search. Yours looks so good with those fruits hanging, mmmmmmmmmm, Clemen

Its definitely a hot weather plant bubba1!
seedpicker, I remember driving on black ice on the Dallas roads! What a nightmare! Yes, your area certainly does get the cold, but also the tremendous summer heat! I love the wide open spaces of Texas!
No flowers blooming today!
A photo of Passiflora Alato Cerulea which may be what you have Clemen.

Thumbnail by bedouin

yep...we can be quite extreme. From 3 degrees to 100 degrees...

Here we say that we only have two seasons here...summer and winter. Fall and Spring are myths?, lol...It goes straight from winter, to summer. And, vice-versa.

Well. Here in Oklahoma we say, "If you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, wait a minute, it'll change!" Ha! ha! Yes, it can get up to 103 here in Northwestern Oklahoma and can get down to 5 or 6 degrees in winter although it hasn't gotten down that low in a while and I am glad. We do have all 4 seasons here. I love Oklahoma. People think of dirt and tumbleweeds when they think of northwestern oklahoma, but that is just not true. There is some of that in the panhandle, but it is lush and green here. The land is wide open, with trees here and there. In the country there are thickets of trees and wild plum bushes. But yes, it gets hot and dry in the summer. I am glad you told me Bedouin. I do so hate watching a plant die.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

SeedPicker heres a picture of some of my 'flavicarpa' Fruit

Thumbnail by phicks
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Bedouin, how long did it take you to get fruit? You're making me want to buy one of those...

Bedouin, yeah that is mine alright, I gues she will have to go indoors too for the winter, like allof my other jungle plants! LOL
Seedpicker, I went to highschool in Dallas, loved it there, not too cold, at teast winter months, I was never there during summers! Clemen

phicks-
is the bag, so that it will not drop on the ground? (Mine haven't even flowered, yet ;0)

Clemen-if you didn't stick around for our hot summers, then you probably still think our weather is sperfect, lol..

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Ive never Heard oF one Called McCain' Paul

yeah seedpicker, I was only in Dallas while school was in session, it was a boarding school, but I do love Texans, so much fun! Clemen

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Seed picker yup so it wont fall on the Ground i Crossed this one with Racemosa

This message was edited Jul 2, 2008 10:09 PM

Seepicker, we have the same type of seasons! Summer & Winter! You know its summer here when you can park anywhere…..and your pool is in constant use as is your large hat; you know its winter when you have to stand in line to get into a good Greek restaurant! The Tabebuia and Jacaranda trees in bloom are our indications of Springtime. No Autumns here either.
Bubba1, that’s what I’d call ‘extreme’ weather! I loved the musical ‘Oklahoma’! That’s how I envision Ok. to be - in full Technicolor of course! Your description of Ok is very appealing! You can certainly grow the Passiflora vine indoors as long as it has good sunlight
Robcorreia, I bought it as a tiny rooted plant from Logees Greenhouse (4” pot) about 2-2 ˝ years ago. It's been very happy in the various sized pots, and survived my bad watering habits! I believe it would thrive in San Diego! As mentioned above, I have fresh seeds if you’d like some. Dmail me if you are interested.
Phicks, the P. McCain is probably a Logees hybrid. Logees advertises it as self-pollinating: http://www.logees.com/products.asp?dept=110

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i didnt think any of the passiflorias were edible. hmm may have to grow a few and try.

any suggestions on one to look for

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Taylor
If you're referring the the ones from me, yep they are on the tart side. Someone suggested it might be a variety or subspecies "Alba" as the blooms are solid white.
My vine has been blooming and fruiting for a couple months now but it's an older vine and well established.

Hi Jan!

Yes! Mine are the ones from you. :0) I know they are supposed to be tart, but so were my pineapple guava :0) My soil turned them bland, and I don't even eat them. I'm hoping the passies will taste as good as the ones I've had before from the store :0)

The flavicarpa already have a finger thick stem at the base, and have climbed the top of the porch poles. No flowers, yet, but we are usually about a month behind FL & CA, so should have some soon.

Mine is really baking on that porch. We have been in the 100's and I'm sure it is even hotter under that clear polycarbonate roof! It is holding up nicely, so far.

It is so much better behaved than the blue sky vine I had there before. This is the best it ever looked, but it was exhausting trying to keep it this "controlled". I have one left to take out and right now it is just a huge monster tangle...

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Bedouin, I am not as disciplined as you....boy, 2 yrs waiting for fruit sounds like forever to me! lol!

Robcorreia, this is my second fruit season. More fruit on the vine than last year.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ahhh..that's better!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hello joanmary,
how are you? i would love some of those seeds. you still need to come down to see the jungle.

Not too bad candela. send me a Dmail and I'll give you my add for the P. McCain seeds. I'll be driving down to Miami in Autumn. Lets meet up then if you are free on a Monday afternoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.