What's wrong with this Lupine?

Athol, MA

This Lupine was planted about 3 years ago. Last year it blossomed almost all summer with deadheading. This year it blossomed once and then the tips of the leaves started turning yellow and the new growth started wilting. Approx 4 ft from this plant is another Lupine, alittle younger, that so far is doing fine. Is there anything I can do to help this plant? Could it possibly be too much water? Why then would the other one be o.k?

Thumbnail by audreyannewert
North Augusta, ON

Have you inspected it closely for Aphids? That looks like aphid damage to me...I'm fighting them this year too.

South Hamilton, MA

If it is aphids, fill a squirt bottle with water & detergeant & give them a blast, the soap prevents them from sticking their nose (for want of a better term) into the stems.

I have some lupine and it got planted in the wrong spot. It dries up quick and the leave curl but not yellowed.

Athol, MA

yes, it's aphids. I hope I caught it in time. It's loaded with them. It looks pretty bad.

North Augusta, ON

Spray them off with a stream from a garden hose. They can't climb back up. If the damage is really bad, trim the plants back. They'll grow again.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi!
It could be your plant is at the end of its life cycle.
Most lupines are biennial or short-lived perennials, so it is important to let them reseed themselves if you want to your patch to prosper.
To be sure, check the variety. I have Russells and a variety of reds and they tend to only live 2-3 years so I spread the seeds on the ground when they mature. I always have new plants to take the old plant's place.

Athol, MA

Threegardeners,
After looking at my enlarged photo, would you say this plant is bad enough to be cut back? I tried to photograph the worst section of the plant. I just got through spraying it with soapy water.

North Augusta, ON

I see you've got seeds ripening. Give it a few days after spraying, see how it looks. If you do cut it back, leave the seeds so you'll have more next year. I cut some back last summer that looked like that, but they were right beside the front sidewalk, near the street. I planted some Nicotiana and poppy seeds in the bare spot for some colour.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.