What's wrong with my tree?

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

I just noticed this large problem area on the trunk of a large tree in our backyard. I'm not sure how long it's been like this because it's on the back side (an area we don't see often at all). This area is probably about waist high on the trunk. Unfortunately, I don't know what type of tree it is (I'm a complete novice), but it seems to be otherwise healthy. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Thumbnail by jenepat
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Something injured that tree, but it looks like it is healing well. Those rounded woody areas surrounding the injury are the tree's way of covering the wound.
You might carefully trim off any jagged areas of bark that would impede the process.

Thanks for the response ceejaytown! I wonder what could have injured it? Weird! We've only owned the house for 11 months, so maybe it happened before that? Glad to know it looks like it's healing well!

I'm a little nervous about trimming off the bark, but maybe once I get out there with some shears it will be clear what is safe to trim. I just don't want to do anymore damage than has already been done.

Also, is there anything I can feed the tree that will help with the "healing" process?

Trim the tree with a sharp knife - just any bark and wood that is sticking out and getting in the way of the healing. Usually, when it is a fresh wound, you would trim it in an oval shape (longer top to bottom) with a point at the top and a point at the bottom. But yours is healing already, so not necessary.

You can always fertilize your trees with your lawn fertilizer. NOT weed 'n feed! As a matter of fact, for your tree's sake, never use weed 'n feed. The feeder roots start about half way between the trunk and the canopy's edge. And they often extend that same distance beyond the canopy's edge. Keep it well-watered.

Is your house new? The tree looks like it was side-swiped or backed into by a construction vehicle.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 5:25 PM

Thanks so much - all very good advice! Nope, the house isn't new (19 yrs old), but I think the previous owners mentioned having a tree removed in the last couple years, so maybe the damage happened then? Oh well, I'm just glad it's healing & that the tree still looks as healthy as it does (it's probably about 20-25 ft tall and very full this season).

Thanks again for your help!

You're very welcome. Have you met mahnot? She lives in N Richland Hills also.

Nope, I sure haven't. I'll have to keep an eye out for her on the boards!

You'll love her. Quick-witted with a dry sense of humor.

I see you're a new member. Welcome to the garden!!!

Thanks! Yep - I just stumbled upon DG last week. I love it & have quickly become addicted! :)

I know the feeling...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.