My Stuttgart Canna

Phoenix, AZ

Last year it was almost solid green (I was very unhappy) This year I am getting great varigation!

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

Some of my other Canna's

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

Some more ☺

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Stuggart, mine is getting burnt up.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Great info about Stuggart I thought I had the wrong one.Yours is beautiful.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice

Fish_knees, do you have yours planted in full sun? Brian Williams has some, and he says they need part shade 'cause full sun burns the leaves. I know, because I have had my eye on his.

Phoenix, AZ

Mine gets a.m. (very early) sun only. The rest of the day it is shaded by a large tree. We've been consistently 110 -112 degrees :( Even shaded I have gotten a little leaf burn. My Suttgart came from Brian ☺

Mine gets shade after 3pm. I still get leaf burn. I guess it needs more shade. It's been 90-100F here.

Wow! 110-112! That's hot! We usually get up to 102 or even 103. My sister tells me it is different in Arizona, though, because your climate is dryer so it doesn't feel as hot. Does she know what she's talking about?

Yes, it gets very dry there, Bubba. Not the same as hot and humid. I admire people who are able to grow such healthy plants in Desert conditions.

Isn't the soil there kinda sandy?

Phoenix, AZ

The soil is the equivalent of cement :(
Not sandy.
Yeah, it's a dry heat, people that live in Phoenix are not afraid of Hell LOL!!

You make me laugh! That's funny. Do you have to amend the soil to plant something?

Phoenix, AZ

Yes, once you finish with the jackhammer and fight off the rattlesnacks you must amend! I have a lot of raised beds for that reason. Usually once you get down 6-10 inches you hit caliche :(

Here's my Stuggart Fish_knees, funny name!

Thumbnail by Dean_W

Boy! It is NOT happy!

No, it's getting burnt up!

Maybe if you dmail brian williams and show him a picture he might help you. Since he sells this variety he should know what it requires to flourish.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Move it in to full Shade Paul

Okay!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Also Watch Giveing it to much Fertilizer it can cauce it to burn also paul

Sure, I think my neighbor flooded my canna area with pool water. It was all wet recently and it hadn't rained. I wonder if chlorine or something in the water could have burnt it. It gets shade after 3pm. There are other cannas in the area that have also gotten burnt foliage. It seems as though they been slow to recover.

Louisville, KY

I dont think I could add any more advise on your plant Dean. Shade water watch the fertilizer a little epson salt on it once it starts looking good probably 3 to 5 nice leaves later.

Fish_knees if your in Phoenix you should visit my uncle. He is a Cactus fanatic named Sherman Williams his cactus collections is the best I have ever seen and I have been all over. Even if you don't like cactus just seeing his place is amazing. He also builds artificial rocks.

Phoenix, AZ

What part of Phoenix is he in?

I lived here all my life....I hate cactus LOL! I'm in zone denial

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

love the pic above fish_knees...beautiful color impact! and I like the tub you have the cannas in too on the first pic...very nice indeedy!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, this is Sharon in Las Vegas. Same as Phoenix but less humidity. But if it is above 100 degrees it is HOT. I only have tropicanas (sp). They get morning sun up to around 1pm. They are heavily multched and deep watered. I need to separate this winter because of all the duplication. Also I am enclosing a picture of a plant I am looking for a name. I will forward tomorrow. It is getting late and I am going to crash. This is my forth thread tonight. Have a great weekend.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Raleigh, NC

Happy Fourth of July Y'all!

y'all, I'm a newbie at Cannas, thought I'd drop by to see what else I could learn, and the first thread I notice is Stuttgart! First canna I ever bought!

maybe no expert, but mine came from Plant Delights Nursery, and I lucked into an opening in one of Tony Avent's classes on tropicals before I bought any cannas.

According to my class notes on Stuttgart:
* the bloom is insignificant, so don't grow it for that.
* it prefers shade, where it probably won't bloom anyway.
* remove any all green leaves, as they are regressing and can otherwise take over, i.e., "encourage variegated foliage by pruning"
* Epsom salts added to the soil can help prevent sunscald

For those of you that don't know Tony Avent, he is the creator of the vast Tropical garden at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds in Raleigh, and he's the one our Dept. of Transportation went to for suggestions before 1984 to beautify the highways before we hosted the Olympic tryouts. He suggested planting cannas at the Interstate 40 interchanges. He quipped that he had thought the State would plant maybe 500. He must have been highly respected: they planted over 10k and are the reason we now have some of the canna insect pests we never had before!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2008 9:53 AM

Montreal, Canada

Fish_knees - what is the name of that beautiful plant growing next to the cannas?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL

Raleigh, NC

ok, phicks, laugh. But we didnt' have them before the DOT went overboard~

Phoenix, AZ

The one on a trellis in the 1st pic is a Dutchmans Pipe Vine. The one to the left (blue flowers) is a Plumbago

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Stuggart makes a great water canna to Paul

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This thread just reminded me that I used to have a stuttgart, but it is nowhere to be found. Oh well, Mine was planted inground, bright shade, and it struggled. Even in that location, it got crispy. IMO, this is a plant diva, and I've got little time for too many of such plants.

I tried 3 times to grow it and for whatever reason I was not successful. The third attempt yielded a nice clump last year but this year, nowhere to be found. strange!

Maybe you have a mole? I just purchased one yesterday. It should be coming in the mail next week. I am going to plant it in full shade. I am even thinking about putting some peat moss in the hole to hold moisture.

Raleigh, NC

Odd - I like it because it can take my neglect.

we have acidic heavy red clay - make that unbaked brick. Stuttgart has trouble making a clump. It likes to run a bit between stalks. Other clumping plants have this problem with the clay. It's now on both side of the swimming pool solid wood fence! But it grows, slow and steady.

It gets a couple hours hot sun and then shade, a microclimate near the pool. I really need to move it to more shade. It scorches a bit every year. a lot of weeds keep sun off it's roots. I've never fertilized it. but I do sometimes remember to mulch it. I know it's time to think about removing the pool cover when Stuttgart breaks ground in late spring.

This year I tried to remove a volunteer tree inside the fence - 3rd try. we accidently dug up some of the Stuttgart nearby. Trampled it more like. I boxed it up and took that to a RU and gave it away for hostas and other cannas.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry for the delay. This the plant I am trying to identify. It was given to me by my father over 15 years ago. I had a pink and a white. I lost the pink and would like to replace. He got it free from Burpee with an order. I do remember the first part of the name was desert.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

View of the plant.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Another view. I expect help from Arizona. This a view of the top of each stalk where the pictures appear. The flowers are open for only one day. It is a bulb that look like a sideway parsnip.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Last photo. Ground view that shows growth from ground and old stalks from last year that have been cut but not removed. Seems to not like stalks removed until the plant is ready. The bulb multiplies quite easy I did lose one clump last year because the irrigation was cut off and I did not know until to late.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.