What's happening to my plant?

Franklinton, LA(Zone 8b)

Some of the leaves on my S. African foxglove are crinkling. Is there a pest? I checked for spiders, none that I saw.

Thanks,

Linda

Thumbnail by Lindagm
Franklinton, LA(Zone 8b)

This plant also has a deformity. Think maybe this might cause the leaves to turn up, almost folding up on the tips.

I failed to mention in the previous post that the newer leaves are tightly turned and almost look like a cluster of green flowers.
Thanks

Linda

Thumbnail by Lindagm
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

The first photo looks like thrips damage. Thrips are tiny insects with rasping mouthparts. They suck the juice from the cells of the plant, and as the leaf grows out, those cells are no longer there, and so the puckering or malformation at the edges occur.

The second photo looked like there is a possibility of herbicide damage. Herbice drift can cause the malformation of leaves, too, and not just on the edges. Has anyone used an herbicide in the vicinity. The drift of the fumes is damaging too.

A virus would cause malformation of all of the new growth.

Spiders don't damage plants. They eat the insects on the plants. Some may fold over an edge to make a web/nest, but it doesn't damage the plant.

Franklinton, LA(Zone 8b)

Ceejay,

Thank you for the information about the thrips (never heard of them). I am not aware of anyone useing a herbicide. However,I live in a small subdivision and you just never know what the people across the street might be doing.

Is there anything I can use to get rid of the thrips?...sounds like a disease...ha ha

Thanks again,

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.