Vining Milkweed?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I planted this from seed last year but lost the label. I think it may be a vining milkweed but not sure of the exact variety. If it bloomed last year, I didn't notice but it died in the fall. It must have reseeded though because I have a few coming up in different pots. I finally noticed some blooms and although they are small, they are very sweet smelling if you get up really close. I search the interest for vining milkweek and found one called Sarcostemma hirtellum that looks similiar but the blooms are a bit different. I looked this one up in DG Plant Files and the leaves are totally different. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by budgielover

Leaves

Thumbnail by budgielover
New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan, I'm pretty sure you have Morrenia oderata there. aka Strangler vine,latex vine.Monarch cats will eat it but they won't lay egg's on it.It's invasive up here but the smell is very nice.Until I figured out what it was I thought my neighbor was using a nice smelling softner in their dryer. If you have them in pots then you should be OK. but they do strangle anything they grow near. Don

Hi Don,
I looked it up the the leaves are different from what I have.
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.