A little help with plant ID's please

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

I found these growing in my garden the other day. The first is about 6" tall and there is just the one single stem. I am suspicious that the other two are hybrids or the result of inbreeding of my Johnny Jump Ups. Any help is much appreciated.

Thumbnail by escubed
Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

Johnny Jump Up?

Thumbnail by escubed
Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

A different Johnny Jump Up?

Thumbnail by escubed
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

First one looks like Calibrachoa (Million Bells). Second might be Angelonia. Third does look like a Jump Up.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No Jump Ups here except in the lower left-hand corner of your Verbena photo. Victor's right about the Callibrachoa, and the second is probably Nemesia, but it's hard to tell without a sharper image of the leaves.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Annual verbena, zuzu? Yes - nemesia! I stink remembering annual names. The yellow button is characteristic.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Sorry..cross posted

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you guys are good!

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

A little more information if it helps...All three are Johnny Jump Up (JJU) size and are growing amongst it. And I haven't planted anything but the JJU which has spread considerably which is why I was thinking that #'s 2 and 3 were somehow the result of inbreeding. Our current storm seems to have passed and I'll see about getting a more clear picture. Thanks to everyone for their efforts!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Quote:
"And I haven't planted anything but the JJU" maybe you haven't but all it takes is one bird and a few seeds.

Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

I know it doesn't take much. I discovered some sensitive fern between the air conditioner and the house yesterday which came from who knows where. But what are the odds that these two plants, which are so similar to JJU's in size and leaf shape, would land among them? That's what led to my conclusion about inbreeding.

Thumbnail by escubed
Brookline, MA(Zone 6a)

The second of the "unknowns"

Thumbnail by escubed
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

The 1st picture looks like my Toadflax and the birds love the seeds!

The second is verbena, i'd stake my DL's on it! LOL

This message was edited Jun 29, 2008 6:51 PM

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Absolutely! Verbena!
Finally I can recognize something!!
^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.