Has anyone been able to grow blueberries on Oahu?

Kahaluʻu, HI(Zone 11)

I am wondering if anyone has tried to grow a southern highbush variety of blueberry with low chill hour requirements on Oahu with any luck. The county extension agent doesn't know if it is possible. I contacted one of the growers in Florida (True Blue Propogation) and he recommended "Windsor" but when I further questioned him he didn't know what a chill hour was or if I could grow them here where it doesn't ever get below 55 degrees. What do you think?

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I gave a friend of mine 2 blueberry bushes. I think it was Oneal and Misty. We have low chill conditions here, but will get the occasional frost near dawn in the winter. She got blueberries, but didn't protect them so the birds ate them all. I've always wondered if throwing a bag of ice cubes around them would help make a fake chill? Hers made a decent ornamental bush too. She grows them in pots so she can control the acidity of the soil better. (They like acid) Hope someone with a no chill climate weighs in.

I would love your never under 55 degrees climate! I resent ever having to put on a winter jacket. LOL

Mary

Kahaluʻu, HI(Zone 11)

I know they've tried several cultivars on the Big Island where with elevation there can be many microclimates including ones with snow! But I just don't know if I can get away with it here. Thanks for your feedback. I've often wondered about chilling it with ice cubes too. I'm not sure what a chill hour means and interestingly neither was the blueberry nursery grower in Florida!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Guavagirl. I have never seen or heard of them growing down here at sea level...I am not sure that you will have enough buckets of ice for the required number of chill hours! Chill hours are a certain number of hours that the plant HAS to have at cold tempratures, depending on the variety. I am sort of doubtfull that they will fruit for you and will be very interested in the replies to your question...
Good luck with those bushes...
Aloha,
Jenny

mulege, Mexico

The Fruits and Nuts Forum has a thread on Zone 10-11 blueberries. You might get some useful information there.

katiebear

Keaau, HI

Hey Guavagirl! You may be better off trying to grow Hawaiian ohelo (Vaccinium reticulatum).It is widely adapted to Hawaiian habitats, and I have found that cultivating it makes good tasting berries.
Most montane mesic habitats contain the plant. A few berries will provide dozens of seeds.
Aloha, Dave

mulege, Mexico

Tradewindsfruit.com has seeds for a blueberry that they say grows in the tropics. It may be the same one Dave is talking about.

katiebear

Kahaluʻu, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks Dave and Katiebear. You guys are awesome. I will give them a try. Has anyone ever tasted either the Hawaiian ohelo or the Chinese or Costa Rican blueberry? Do they taste like blueberries? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has tried them.
Mahalo

Keaau, HI

Hawaiian ohelo grows in a variety of habitats, and I've found that when they are in good soil they get sweeter than in rocky areas with little or poor soil.
In cultivation they should produce good flavored berries, as you can provide the plants with nutritional supplements. Liquid seaweed is a good choice to feed Hawaiian Vacciniums. The fruit is similar in consistency to blueberries, but they have their own distinctive flavor.

Kahaluʻu, HI(Zone 11)

I really appreciate all your input. Does anyone know where I could obtain seeds or a plant of the Hawaiian ohelo?

Keaau, HI

The easiest way to get ohelo seeds (Vaccinium reticulatum) is to go to a State forest reserve and collect a few fruit. Smash the fruit onto a paper towel and dry it out so that you can work the seed away from the fleshy part. Sprinkle the seed onto a pot filled with Pro-Mix BX and cover it with about 1/8 inch of the mix. Keep it moist, and after a few weeks you should see seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.