K.I.S.S.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm told quite often, "Keep It Simple Stupid". I take a plastic trash can. Throw in some leaves, then sand, then green grass cuttings, maybe some newspaper. In layers like lasagna. repeat until full. add water. Add a container of worms from bait shop and sevendust the ground around it so the ants don't get them. In two months I have a bucket full of dirt. I turn it over, dump it out and there are a hundred baby worms. The worms eat the fungi made by the damp vegetation.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Are you buying the red wigglers, or using night crawlers? I like your practice...pretty simple!

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I was told the larger one won't survive Fl. heat. So I use the wrigglers, but Kentucky should be fine. When I have chickens I throw in some of the baby crumbles because the ants don't go after that. You have ants like down here in Florida?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, got fire ants too, but ours are smaller...must be a distant cousin. I remember the ants in Florida!

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Look on the box of night crawlers. Mostly they are from Canada now. They will quickly die in the South. If you can find local ones they should be ok but the red wigglers are the easiest in the garbage can kind of setup.
Paul

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I have off from work tomorrow. If it's not flooded, TS Fay moving on, I'm going to dump my worms. See what I got. Hope you're still there Kentucky.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.bestbuyworms.com/id7.html Just got this from another forum. Great info, I might even try their worms. I dumped my worms the other day, in a kiddy pool. I didn't see the babies I thought I'd see, but I didn't have my glasses on either. Added more grass clippings and goodies. Like a handful of wild birdseed. As it grows I'll pull it and lay it on top. And I have a bag of sprouting salad mix from the health food store. The centapedes, I'll have to ask this new website if they have any info on them. I think they eat bugs. later

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I want to go on a tour of the above website, it's a farm out by Spring Hill, west central florida. Anyone want to go?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.