What's wrong with my delphiniums??

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Please help! The leaves of my delphiniums appear to have something whitish on them and are drying and curling at the edges and turning dark in places. Even the flowers have a similar deformation to them. Can someone identify what's wrong with them - and is it curable or should I remove them from my garden so they don't contaminate something else? (I have more pictures but couldn't figure out how to post more than one). Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Could it be powdery mildew? For more information, see this link: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280111211.html?printpage

Thanks, Luis! - I'll bet that's what it is as your link describes mis-shapeness (which I'd never seen with the powdery mildew on my lungwort), and also says that larkspur are particulary susceptible. I'm still wondering, though if it would be best to remove them before they infect other plants, or to try to treat them. They're in pretty bad shape. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? (another photo)

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

If they're through blooming, you might go ahead and remove them, but if they are just beginning, I would go ahead and just treat them. Powdery mildew isn't like other fungi, and I wouldn't worry about other plants getting it. If they're going to get it, it won't be because the delphiniums have it.

Thanks ceejaytown. That's good to know. They're blooming, but getting uglier by the day. Does anyone know if powdery mildew is carried in the soil, i.e. if I do get rid of these delphiniums, should I avoid planting more of them in the same area?

Not to worry. Future delphiniums may get it, but not because these have it. What you might want to do in the future, since this is a problem with delphiniums in general, is to treat before the symptoms, or, at the very least, watch closely and treat at the very first sign.

thanks ceejay!

You're very welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.