Starting A Fall Crop for the GH

Mountain Home, AR

This is my first time with a GH. I want to try some salad greens and tomatoes for the fall. When do I start the seeds to get a fall crop, say Oct, Nov harvest? Its hot here in July and August and probably Sept too. Suggestions needed and appreciated. Nanadee

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tomatoes like sun and heat, so I'd look at the type you have and figure the days to germination and days to fruit and work backwards from the time you want to harvest them. Then just move them into the greenhouse in the fall when your weather starts to cool off. The salad greens I think mostly tend to be cool season plants so you'll have to wait until the weather starts to get cooler before you start them, and the GH probably won't be particularly helpful, unless you have a really excellent cooling system it'll probably get too hot in there on sunny days, the tomatoes may enjoy it but the lettuce won't.

Mountain Home, AR

Thanks ECrane. I should have figured that one out but I haven't developed GH confidence, it's all new to me. It helps to have someone with some experience confirm your hunches.

Fulton, MO

Winter GH tomatoes should be started in August around here. For fall harvest, I'd think about starting now. Growth will slow tremendously once it gets cool.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Do tomatoes stop flowering and fruiting?

I planted some in the greenhouse for the first time this spring, and am just starting to get some ripe cherries. I have a Cherry, a Roma and a Big Boy, but I thought they would just keep right on vining and working through the winter into next spring.

I hear peppers are supposed to be shrubs that can be perennial. Wonder about those as year round greenhouse plants, as well.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know too much about growing tomatoes, but there are determinate ones and indeterminate ones. The determinate ones bear all their fruit at once so I would expect they would just flower once and be done. The indeterminate ones can keep bearing, so I'd expect them to bloom multiple times (although since I don't grow them I don't know if they would go in flushes with breaks in between, or whether you should have flowers constantly). I looked yours up in Plant Files, and Roma is determinate so it'll have all its fruit at once. Big Boy is indeterminate (assuming it's just plain Big Boy and not Bush Big Boy which is determinate). For the cherry you'd need to have a cultivar name, it looks like there are some cherries that are determinate and some that are indeterminate so it's hard to say which type yours is unless you know the cultivar name.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, ecrane!

I have been having a pip of a time with the Roma, and guessing it does not like the summer greenhouse scene, even though I have for the first time gotten things set so the GH doesn't overheat. I keep my (2) hand-raised from the egg Cacatua Albas (Great White Umbrella Cockatoos) living in the GH year round. I think the top temp has only been 87ºF, so far. So, not too bad. Top outside temp has already gone over 92ºF.

So far, 2 of the Roma fruit got soft and mushy on the bottom, then a grey black fungus appeared. So, I removed and disposed of them and not to the compost. I have not been impressed by the performance of the Roma. But, we shall see. It is still a little early.

Sorry, but the Big Boy is not the bush one, in fact, it's BeefMaster http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57262/, sorry 'bout that. The fruit is just starting to show up. They're a Mid-to later tomater, and Indeterminate.

The Cherry, Sweet Million http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55342/ : Indeterminate. They're SWEET!

Orangeburg, SC

Im glad you posted this I had the same questions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.