Any suggestions?

Pioneer, CA

My sugar snap peas are now kaput and I'd like to plant something it it's place--- any suggestions? We'll have hot weather until
Oct (usually)I have found that I really like growing peas, too bad it's too late to plant more. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Jacquie

This message was edited Jun 27, 2008 9:04 PM

This message was edited Jun 27, 2008 9:05 PM

Paducah, KY

Hi,

I can't really suggest any vining plants, as I did a little research for myself when my sugar snappers kicked the bucket. Instead, I opted for bush beans. I bought a packet that contains 3 varieties. They must be super-fast growers, because I planted the SEEDS a week ago, and already, my little bean plants are about 5-6" tall. If you've got the room and you want something with a pod, I'd say definitely give the bush beans a try. They're very compact and, from what I've heard, big producers. :)

-Moonpye

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

I am now planting Red Ripper and other vining southern peas other that Black Eye.
They love the heat and will most likely produce a bumper crop in your zone before a killing frost.

Paducah, KY

Oh! I will have to try those, too. :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I would suggest Southern peas too. Here's the article that I wrote about them. It's one of my favorite veggies.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/86/

Pioneer, CA

Thank so much. I'm going to try to find the southern pea seeds, don't know if I'll be able to but I'll call around. If I can't, I guess I could plant more bush beans. Very few of my neighbors have gardens so I love to share- that's what it's all about, right?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If you can't find any, let me know. Our farm store should still have several varieties. I'll be glad to send you some. Most are about $2 for 1/2 pound. They'll go in a Priority envelope.

Pioneer, CA

Thank you for your very nice offer melody. I think I'll do bush beans this year in that spot.
Are the southern peas the same as asparagus beans? One of my neighbors said they're called by that name here. Next year your peas are a must after reading your article. Every year I like to plant something new, this year it's a climbing squash called Trombetta di Albenga (quite a mouth full) , and fun to grow. Thanks again
Jacquie

Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

The asparagus bean is a close cousin to the southern pea.
The young asparagus bean pod is used mostly in asian stir fry whereas the pea is used as a green shell.bean
I some times use the asparagus bean as a snap and cook with the peas.
I have let some asparagus beans mature and use as shell beans.They then taste and look simular to peas,however they do not have many beans[peas]to the pod.
Here are some asparagus beans I picked this year.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 3:38 PM

Thumbnail by Hemental
Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Sorry wrong picture those are Kwintus [aka Early Riser] pole beans and Squash.
I'll try again

This message was edited Jul 1, 2008 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by Hemental
Waynesboro, MS(Zone 8a)

Red Ripper Peas

Thumbnail by Hemental
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, everyone has given great info while I was out picking blueberries...literally. (got tons drying as we speak)

Anyway, southern peas are a culinary delight, and are so historical too. Eah variety..(and there are hundreds) has a unique flavor. not unique as in apples and oranges, but unique as in Fuji and Golden Delicious.

I'm growing 3 varieties...and Chinese Red Noodle Beans (another 'cousin')

If you have trouble locating these peas, just give a shout. Our farm store handles at least half a dozen cultivars. We do love our peas here!

Pioneer, CA

Melody, can I holler next Spring? I haven't seen your kind of peas here and I love peas and beans. Also, it's fun growing them.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You bet!

Pioneer, CA

Ahh----thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.