NEW CONEFLOWER'S THAT ARE OUT

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

Has anyone grow the new coneflower's that they came out with in the past 5 plus years the different color one's ?

Which one has done the best for you?

Which color do you like?

Which one's don't you like?

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Golden_Eagle - I've got "Harvest Moon", "Sunset" & "Coconut Lime" - I love them all! Just planted C. Lime, so time will tell, but the others are doing very well - I had Sunset last year & divided it this spring & all are doing well & blooming like crazy! Samantha

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I have Twilight, Harvest Moon, Summer Sky, Sundown. All are doing well.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I don't think you can go wrong with CL. It was new last year and bloomed its head off all season. The blooms last a long time too. It came back doubled in size and is just starting to bloom. Mine are all just starting or loaded with buds so I will post as they bloom. My fav for color is 'Twilight' but it did not return. I will give it another try next year.
This is Coconut Lime just starting, will post more pics as it gets the pompom look.

Thumbnail by ngam
Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I've gotta get me a coconut lime. Everybody rave's about it!!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Updated pic of CL. Pompoms are getting started.

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

'Summer Sky' starting to color up now. Looks healthy with a lot of buds so far. This is the 2nd year here.

Thumbnail by ngam
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's really pretty!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

How much was that coconut lime? Did you get it locally? I can't find one.

I one a double decker that just completely died on me. Not sure what's up with that but all others are fine

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I think I got the CL from White Flower Farm last year. It was more expensive than I usually like to spend, around $17.00 but I have not seen any locally. I ordered very early, just after the holidays. Places seem to sell out very quickly.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I found some wonderfully large CLs at Lowe's today for less than $9...Gallon pots. Wouldn't hurt to check:-)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I got a double decker pink at Lowes for $12.95 I think and it died in 2 weeks. Taking it back soon. All other coneflowers are good but that went down hill fast

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Keeping my receipt, lol!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I tape receipts to 8x11 paper and keep in a Plant File folder.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That is so smart!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It is easy and when I go looking for a dead plant receipt I have the receipt taped and a hand written note on the 8x11 paper so it's easier to know what it's for if I can't find my reader glasses !

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Great idea, Kathy! I'm gonna have to try that one:-)

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

'Summer Sky', it's 2nd year here. I like this one a lot, I hope it stays healthy.

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Any one have a pic of 'Fatal Attraction' blooming? This is new this year and so far the bud has won me over. Can't wait to see a full bloom. This one has nice dark stems too.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2008 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by ngam
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I HAD fatal attraction, one tiny little one - it didn't come back. :-(

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I think that's the problem with the new varieties, they just don't have the problems worked out yet. We all want them but how hardy are they?

I ordered white zinnia from Burpee - NEW - and they did great but were certainly NOT white. Cream but it stated pure white. The small amount of seed I had from those flowers did not reproduce at all.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Green Envy made it through our nasty winter. It's about 2.5' tall now and full of buds. Will post a pic when it blooms.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I want Green Envy and Coconut lime. My doubledecker and purple are doing great from last year. Maybe they will be cheaper in 2009.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

If these come back next year (first year for both), I'll keep Coconut Lime and Pink Double Delight in my gardens forever and ever. I love them both. And, like ngam said, the flowers are soooo long lasting.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's Green Envy. Jury's still out on this one for me. It's new, and I've yet to see a decent looking bloom just yet. It's covered in buds, though, so I'll let you all know. (Sorry this is blurry; it was windy!)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OH, Kayly, nothing about a garden is EVER forever and ever, is it?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, I suppose that's true, Carrie. Let's just say I'll keep them planted here for a very long time. ;)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

^_^

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

I have "Coconut Lime", Pink "Double Delight". " Fatal attraction"."Summer Sky", " White Swan", Harvest Moon, and "Sundown".

I bought all of them at local nursery for $8.99 each; they were very large healthy plants. So far everything is going great- great blooms, ealthy pants, etc.

If you haven't read the latest issue of "Horticulture" magazine, please do so. They have a nice article on the coneflowers and the developers of several different colors. They have plans for many new cultivars!

Carol

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

So (newbie) how do you do a cultivar???

I used to get the horticulture mag from a guy at work when he was through reading it and then he quit taking it.... : ~ (

Janet

I love my Coconut Lime... I'm the proud parent of four blooms......LOL

Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Janet,

Go to hortmag.com and you can read the article online. And, try growing several Coneflowers together--you never know what is going on at night and you may be the proud parent of a new cultivar. LOL

Carol

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

you are so right Carol I have a interesting change happening with my Summer Sky!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

so is it from the bees going to one then another one???

Thanks so much for the link.

going there now.

Janet

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That would be my guess..bees, butterflies or moths.

I know I am sooo in the minority, but I just don't like the look of Coconut Lime or Green Envy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me too, I think flowers should be colors, the whole green flowers thing confuses me.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I've looked and looked through their site (hortmag) but for some reason I can't find an article that I could read. Are you talking about the upcoming issue that has the purple on the cover??? If so, I don't see where I can click to view the article.

I've already done one garden mag this year and I try not to have too many as they usually end up not read, due to to many other things taking my time...

Janet

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

First Tiki Torch starting to fill out a little. The color is very intense, a bit deeper orange than the pic. A bit misshapen right now but I hope it will fill out okay. Other buds look even but not colored up yet.

Thumbnail by ngam
Greenbush, MI(Zone 4b)

Janet,

My apologies! It seems Horticulture magazine is a month behind in showing their articles; the Coneflower article appears in the August/Sept. issue.

Carol

p.s. Check back soon if your have time.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I really love the Pink Double Delight. It's really doing good for me so far this year.

Thumbnail by momcat
McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

My razzmatazz has filled out beautifully.

Thumbnail by pennefeather

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.