BIG combos

Delaware, OH

here is a BIG combo that includes rubro-marginata, villa de lyon, prince charles, social climber rose, general sikorski, jackmanii and etoile rose. there are some others,but those are the ones that show in the photograph. all the clematis are showing the wear of warm weather and much rain and wind, but holding their own i must say, took this shot today as they welcomed me home from a 5 day trip.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, is that ever beautiful! What a great welcome home!

(Zone 4a)

Ohhhhhhh sooooooooo pretty! Love all the colours!!! It must have been great to come home and see all that!!!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice color combo. That Prince Charles really stands out in this picture. Beautiful!

Delaware, OH

yes , thanks! a lot of the clematis are starting to look ratty and cry out for a cut back, but they still look pretty fresh. we have had over 9 inches of rain this month i think...has been hard on some blooms.
here is a close up of the price charles and villa de lyon from the combo.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Those two really compliment each other nicely and now I see the Rubro peeking through on this pic. Really beautiful together. Speaking of rain... ours has missed us yesterday and I pushed it not watering, so that's what I'm off to do. Fortunately we have been getting rain here every third day or so, it's been nice NOT having to water.

Delaware, OH

it is nice not to water, t storms rolling thru now. but it has beaten some of the blooms up. oh well. mother nature and all that.
i recommend rubro highly. it is as easy as a sweet autumn and so much more versatile.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I love how you have the big pots lined up against the fence on gravel. Very beautiful.

Delaware, OH

thanks. it is what we call the "country garden area". my little paradise. tomatoes, bell peppers and marigolds are in the pots this year. the whole alley or walkway is behind a shrub berm...so it is hidden from the lawn, you walk behind the berm of shrubs in this pic to get to the country garden area.
here is the way it looks from the front.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Your garden is gorgeous and especially your Clematis are performing beautifully!

(Zone 4a)

I agree with Shirley and I am just a 3 year newbie to clematis! I love that last combo - I have to have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

HOW YUMMY!!..I just love your "Wall of Clematis"..stunning...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

thanks for all the nice feedback. spent the morning pruning clematis with waning blooms. etoile violette, some rouge cardinal...lots of smaller blooms on the vines and seedheads...whack....pruning early and hard and fertilizing has really made a difference in the clematis the last few years.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh Niobe, now I'm scared! Pruning, the bugaboo of clematis for newbies, and you're doing it now? What can that mean? How do you know it's "Okay" to cut back during the growing season? Is that only for certain "pruning groups" or do you just know from experience?

Delaware, OH

lula, i just look at the plant.if the bottom is brown and the plant looks tired, give it a break and remove some of its burden.
the only exception i make to this is on clematis that have early double flowers. i generally leave them alone.
use your good judgement. read linda beutlers clematis book...freestyle pruning it is called!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.