Deadhead Coneflowers? When?

(Cissy) San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

I am new to coneflowers, but I just love them. I acquired my first one recently.......and btw, Paul, I read your blog on Aster yellow disease :( sorry. Anyway, does one deadhead these big beautiful flowers, or let it die and go to seed? How does one tell when to deadhead?

Thanks!!
Cissy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Truly up to you whether you want the seeds to be for self seeding/self saving or birds. Usually I will deadhead them early in the year and will leave some up in the fall. Basically once the petals fall off they can be cut off, I cut them down to the next branch.

Thank you, bigcity al :) I appreciate it!

Cissy

Ya know, my one and only conflower plant has 3 blooms. The biggest and oldest will soon need deadheading. That will leave two blossoms. This plant is quite tall, but I don't see anywhere on the plant where a new stalk/blossom is even beginning to grow. Once I deadhead all my blossoms, it would appear, at least now, that I'd have nothing but a bare plant left. LOL. Is this a common thing when only a single plant is present?

TIA
Cissy

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't know the answer to your question specific to coneflowers, but dead-heading will encourage new buds waiting in the wings to get a move on.

Thank you, Pagancat! :) I have since purchased a white coneflower plant with multiple buds which I will enjoy more :)

Cissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.