Tomatoes: Growing Tomatoes In Georgia clay

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

My son say's you cannot grow tomatoes in Georgia Clay. Can someone answer this for me?

Do they do good and do they teast good?

When do you plant tomatoes in Georgia?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i plant them in alabama clay. we plant them in april and in september

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We grow fantastic tomatoes in Georgia! I started planting in March and am still transplanting seed started plants. I have tomatoes that are six feet tall and at least a dozen that are only a few inches. I have also grown off of cuttings taken in June from established plants that were put in in late July. I have grown a number of hybrids and am experimenting more with heirlooms. I will not comment on the heirlooms as there are many here more knowledgeable than me, but I have grown tomatoes in Georgia for almost forty years and we have tomatoes from June through December (with the ones that are picked green and stored). The only issue these days with tomatoes is if you have a good water supply with the drought?

Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

laurel, i cant believe you're that old. 40 years growing tomatoes , and kids in collage, ,let's see, 40 + ???? , no way ! lol sally

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well Sally, I've got one that's almost 34!! I just came in to my "prime" at forty! LOL!!!

Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

shoot, i passed that llloooooooooooooong ago sally

I don't grow them directly in red clay. Please see my response on the tomato forum. I grow them in well ammended raised beds (simply because where they are planted I didn't want to dig into clay). My tomatoes are fantastic.
Except for Cherokee Purple this year. They are cracking like crazy and getting bugs or rot spots.

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.