Pests on Clematis

Kansas City, KS

My clematis bloomed earlier this year and then stopped. I went out tonight and saw hundreds of some small black centipede-looking thingies on it. They seem to be eating both the leaves and the stems. Anyone ever had this problem or know what I do to get rid of them??? Yuck!!!

Delaware, OH

do you have a photo? i do not have a lot of bugs in my garden and am interested in what they look like. i do get japanese beetles on my oak leaf hydrangea(but no other type of hydrangea) and also a french willow shrub, but not the japanese willow shrub i love...the clematis seems kind of immune to bugs, but i have my share of wilt and the like.
maybe just some routine spraying will help. i use a lot of soap and water spray that i make on a routine basis, and keep a 3 gallon sprayer of on my garden trolley to use whenever the mood hits.

check out one of the topics on the forum about earwigs????

Kansas City, KS

I did take a few pictures and will post them tomorrow. I got a little impatient and sprayed with a chemical and they were dropping like flies! I have never seen anything like this before. This plant is two years old and was very healthy and blooming even last year. Thank you for responding...I will post pics in the morning.

Delaware, OH

looking forward to seeing it. what is your growing zone?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.