Split radishes

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

We have never grown radishes before. The cherry belles are almost all split although the Icicles are fine. Is splitting something common to cherry belles, or is it just us? Help please.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

It sometimes happens when it is hot and dry and then it rains for a while...the inconsistency of moisture makes them split.
Or it could be that you let them grow too big, sometimes it is better to pick them when they are smaller.
Hope that helps
Thea

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I've had more trouble with cheery belles splitting than the other varieties I've grown and I have soaker hoses laid out in my garden and water at least once a week when it's dry. I don't grow them anymore. Why grow a radish that wants to be touchy when there are so many others.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Thea and Naturelover. I won't grow cherry belle again. It is a mystery why it seems so popular, isn't it?
The climate was somewhat funky this year but the icicles are fine. It can't be just the climate.

Juanita

Rochester, NY

If they split, can they still be eaten??

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Tanned: I have had to throw away many that are too badly split to salvage. With others I have been able to simply cut off the part where the split has caused the inside of the radish to touch the dirt. This is not any rule I know of but only what I do.

Juanita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.