Looking for a GH for zone 12 HOT and DRY semi-arid desert

Tucson, AZ

Hi, Dave's Garden folks... I've been thinking about buying or building a greenhouse for many years...but this is the year I'll REALLY get one. I'm reading a lot about keeping the heat in...but my problem will be mostly keeping the heat out. The Solex looks good but expensive...the HF 10x12 looks like a good price...but perhaps not here in Tucson where the UV will eat up the panels . (I read the post about the HF panels.) I live at the base of the Catalina Mountains where wind gusts swoop down from the North and throw the patio furniture around the yard.....sometimes the rain comes in horizontally....when it rains at all. The nights cool off wonderfully but the days go very often over 106 degrees. Does anyone know a good kind of GH for this area? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Mesa, AZ

Lots of things to consider and the trade offs associated, such as yearly use, minimum temp and max temp that can be maintained, what types of plants to be grown, availibility of utilities and water, and location issues such as facing direction, wind loading, and last but not least the allowed cost. I suggest making a list of needs and wants and compare them to costs and then throw the list away as hobby houses are often bought on a budget that doesn't count the realities. Owning a gh in the desert certainly has challenges. My hfgh (10 by12) only cost me a few hundred to buy but counting the 750 watt solar electric set up it is really more like 4,000 and the ro system for the house plants another 200 and on and on. Not trying to dissuade you but a gh could only be considered an investment if the architecture would increase the home's value because except for the enjoyment you won't realize any profit. To buy a value raising gh would probably cost in the thousands not counting the heating and the really tough cooling needs. I do it because it is enjoyable, gets me away from the computer and tv and gives me a sense of pride to know I started tropical foliage from seed or rooted cuttings and they look great.
I live in Mesa by the way and always willing to help with info and answer questions

Ron

Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the input, Ron. I rather suspected there might be "hidden costs" lurking. I don't expect to improve the value of the house...I love the looks of the cedar and redwood models....but they are way out of my budget. Utilities and water are only a few feet away from the spot where whatever I build will be. I want to have a place to grow seedlings and a few edibles...I love to watch cuttings take off!...grape vines and the like. Right now they are all in my kitchen,,,cozy and companionable but also taking over food prep area. Thanks for the offer of info. I'm sure I will have questions.
Margaret

Evergreen, CO

I Will pipe in because I could not imagine why you would want a GH in the desert. Guess it would be mainly to increase humidity to grow tropicals. But I don't live there, so I don't know. Here where I live we collect the suns heat to extend growing season. I would think you would have to build a very active type of structure. With one end dedicated to evaporated cooling. I think It's important for potential GH owners to realize that they will need to create their own environment, everthing must be balanced and controlled. Its not so much just a structure, as it is a living organism. Like playing god:-)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Personally I think it's going to take a lot of effort to get a GH that's usable year round in your climate. I have a GH that I use for overwintering tropicals, but everything comes out for the summer. Honestly some days during the winter it's hard to keep it cool enough in there if the sun's out, I can't imagine keeping it reasonable in the summer without spending a fortune on cooling and my summer temps aren't nearly as bad as yours. And you're going to have to spend a decent chunk of money to get a GH that will stand up to winds like what you're mentioning--regularly having winds that are strong enough to throw patio furniture across the yard would probably make quick work of one of the cheaper GH's too.

If you're looking for a place to start seeds and cuttings, you might consider just putting up a pergola and covering it with shade cloth instead, maybe add some screening on the sides to keep out bugs, then maybe get one of those misting fans to cool things down a pinch and add some humidity, I think you'll find that's a lot cheaper and easier. It won't work well in the winter, but you'll get yourself 3 seasons of growing for way less money than the greenhouse which will only really be easily usable for winter.

Tucson, AZ

Thanks, Fourks and Ecrane3. I'm looking into the cooling aspects...looks expensive...but I may try making something up...not pre-packaged. I have many , many feet of homemade misting tube....and that will help. Right now it's on my porch. I can re-assign it Total control of an environment is a fine dream -- a challenge, at least. Some of my projects don't work out....but some others do,,,enough so that I am willing to try another one. It's like the famous carrot-on-a-stick idea. Thanks for your thoughts on this question.
Margaret

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.