Today's Weather in Your Garden - 24

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

you an' me both! I have no ider :-)

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's a wiki pic of something similar ... still cannot tell clearly, can you?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wild_turkey.jpg

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nope.... but thanks for the try... i am sure someone will know

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

here's another shot from somewhere else. Looks like all wild turkey hens are like that.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

goofy... LOL

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

you know it .... but then again .... take a look at MY baby ....

Some say she is a face only a mother could love .... I think she is adorable ....

this is Queen Boudicca still wet out of the shell.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

what is it???????... and how do you feed something so tiny?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

She and her brother born about 6 weeks later are Cacatua Alba, or Great White Umbrella Cockatoo.

I hatched Boudicca in an incubator and hand fed her every other hour for the first month and tapered off after that. There is a powdered mix I bought at the pet store to mix up fresh every day to feed her. I let Leukos be raised by mom and dad for the first month, then removed him and hand fed after that.

Here is the Queen at 6 weeks old.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - looks like toothpicks growing out of her! I love them when they're bigger. Already has a cool eye there.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

She is the sweetest, most loving (cough needy cough) bird I have ever see. A true joy everyday to watch. She now has the deepest, darkest red eyes, too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

amazing... I thought my yorkies were tiny when they were born.. that puts them to shame

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

OMgosh! It was the tiniest thing I ever saw. I thought I would crush her. Talk about nervous!! She and her brother just passed their 7th birthday.

Can we see a current shot?

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

:-) Gladly ...... I am diggin one up from the other computer ....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would be nervous too.... these puppies were only a few inches long when they were born... amazing....how tiny tiny that bird is

this was Lily and her sister Zoie.... at a few weeks old

Thumbnail by onewish1
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is one from a couple years ago .... I am now realizing I haven't recently taken photos of the birds. Camera needs batteries, of course.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

THEY are awesome! bet you smile around them a lot!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

aaaaawwwwwwww.... how sweet

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here are my two now.. Lily & Jily

and they always make me smile & laugh a lot

Thumbnail by onewish1

Great shots! Thanks.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's my Jaakob .... He's an SPCA rescue I have had almost a year now.

And look at YOUR two! They look like quite the hams.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

oh wait ... this is the weather forum .... oops!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it doesn't count... it's an old one

:)

Jaakob looks like a good cuddler

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Whew!!

He's VERY needy. When I got him is was still WAY under weight. Who knows what troubles he'd seen. He was found a stray.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

always good to get them from the shelter... i grew up with all shelter dogs... always great ones too

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

The photos of the wild turkey hen are accurate as far as their coloring. Very strange birds but endlessly amusing. They used to follow their queen - my poor dumb cat - around the back yard. Hubby has a great shot of her oblivious to their existence!

South Hamilton, MA

Our flock of turkeys has shown up again 2 moms @ chicks. We try & herd them off the garden as the dust baths stir up the plants, certainly the current yrs germination.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I would love to see wild turkeys in my backyard again ..... been well over 30 years since we last sighted them in the yard, I'll bet. Go Urban Sprawl!! WhoYeah!

South Hamilton, MA

Ours would be fine if they would stay in the woods. When you are hybridizing & they mess up the plants it is very annoying.

Thomaston, CT

Hot & sticky today---cloudy--now's the time to get into the garden & weed! Nice animal photos---haven't seen too much around lately--guess they're breeding!

South Hamilton, MA

Sticky here, not horribly hot, but more humidity.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Why not come over to #25?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Not bad today. It was supposed to get humid, but I didn't feel any humidity. We took a walk in the woods behind us that were just logged Big Time. It was better than I expected from the way the high-tech equipment sounded. We followed bear tracks for awhile, so the wildlife is returning pretty quickly. The logging roads will actually be a benefit to a lot of the birds and wildlife. We had 4 deer come back into our meadow from the woods last night. There are enough wild strawberries at the top of the meadow to keep them from helping themselves to my Pixie Lilies that are all about to open.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I just love the discussion here, but can we please move it over to the other thread - #25? This is getting beyond the other discussions!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.