trip to big island

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I am from AZ. I am going to a meeting on big island next week. I am wondering if anyone have any suggestions/ideas to see on the island. Thanks a million in advance.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh my! Where to start??? How long will you be there? Will you have a car? Have you been there before? Recommendations are dependent upon the answers to these questions. Carol (AlohaHoya) will probably be your best source of info - since she lives there, and I'm sure she will be here soon...but without a doubt you must see Volcano. If nothing else, just get in a car and drive down the Hamaukua coast. More later....

Yokwe,
Shari

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I will be there for a week with a car. Half day will be busy with conf but rest of the day, I will be free.

We recenlty walked the Kiluea Iki crater and it was the experience of a lifetime.
Also the drive down the Chain of Craters road is (literally) out of this world.
I also loved the Botanical Gardens near Hilo. Here is a picture of one of their Heliconias....the bloom is about 6 ft long.

Thumbnail by
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I have very fond memories of the Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Garden in Papaikou. It is a wonderful place built in a ravine. You walk down into it and see all the pretty flowers, exotic plants and to-die-for vistas.

Helpful staff members give you a lift up the steep road in a golf cart. That's a good thing because with my heart problem, I may have died on the back up. But it would have been a glorious death in a wonderful place.

It seems every little town has a botanical garden and we had a great time in so many gardens. Oh, I am so envious. Eyes wide open; don't even blink. You'd miss something.

Aloha.
Sylvain, A.K.A. Pu'ole.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha LoveT,

All of the above! Have a wonderful trip, and please share you pics with us when you get back!

OT - Hetty, I was so sorry to read about the plumeria theft, how very sickening...

OT - Pu'ole, how is the house comming along?

Keaau, HI

That depends if you're interested in seeing tropical exotics or native Hawaiian plants.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would prefer tropical exotics. Thank you all for your input.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

OT here: the house is coming along fine. The furniture is in. We stripped one of the bathrooms down to the studs so we could build a handicapped shower stall for Gail.

Our handyman works very well but he isn't tidy. There is a fine coat of plaster dust everywhere on the brand-new furniture. He'll be finished at the beginning of next week. I'll send pictures on the South Florida Galopping Gardeners forum.

Aloha,
Sylvain, AKA Pu'ole.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.