SOLVED: After the mystery is solved....then what?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Once your mystery plant is firmly identified, we encourage you to share what you know in PlantFiles - it's as easy as 1-2-3!

1) Photos are almost always a welcome addition to an entry, unless there's already a gazillion images just like yours, already posted.

2) Add a note/description - Do you like the plant? Hate it? Trying to eradicate it by whatever means are necessary? Add a rave or a rant to let others know what you think. There are no wrong answers when it comes to your opinions. ;o)

3) ZIP code/regional report. If it grows in your garden (whether you want it to or not), add your ZIP code to let others in your area know. (We are working on lat/long data for those hampered by the lack of other countries' postal codes, so if you fall into that category, please bear with us, and be sure to add a note or decription, which will indicate your location if it's in your member profile.)

That's all there is to helping make PlantFiles a little more complete and it's a great way to "pay it forward" for the plant ID help you received!

P.S. If you spot any errors in the plant's details or if you think the existing photos should be re-shuffled a bit, look for the red "report an error" button and let our PlantFiles editors know what they should check up on.

Is some information missing from the entry? If you see an "unknown-tell us" link and can help fill in the missing info, feel free - what you know will help others!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

This is a great idea and but it leads to duplication of files. First you upload the image to the question board then you upload the exact same image to the Plant Files. If you want to post your plant on your blog or email you have to upload it yet again. Would it be possible to implement a feature where a user has to upload an image file to some "home directory" only once, and from there the file can be linked to any post the user later makes?

Earlysville, VA

Solved: Thank you to the folks who answered so quickly. I am new to the internet and am amazed by it all. It is good to know what I have so that I can know how to take better care of it.

Thumbnail by slanfia
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I wish they would put a thing at the top of the page for us to close our questions.
I have a difficult time closing them. I have several I would delete if I could.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi, I have several kinds of ornamental peppers (colorful and cute) to offer seeds and I have pictures, but I don't know how to put them in the plant file in the correct place (I don't know what varieties they are.) Any help is appreciated. Ladypearl

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

If you don't know what varieties they are, your best bet would be to offer them for trade on the seed trading forum, and note that you don't know what varieties they are. You can post photos to that forum also. Here's a link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trading/all/

You can also manually add them to your trade tracker by going to the my tools tab under the banner on the home page, and then your trade list.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you for that quick reply. Since I know a little about gardening and much less about computers
and posting pictures, I may still need help. But I'm going to give it a try.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey Joan, Where can I go to learn how to transfer a picture from my computer into my have list on Dave's Garden? I don't know how to do that. Thanks

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Here ya go! http://davesgarden.com/faq/tradelist/#96

Benton, TN

You say that photos are almost always accepted. Initially I had difficulty finding how to add photos, but I found the link at the bottom of the page.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by alvinf
Alexandria, VA

This is a spring-blooming perennial; the shrub is about 20 years old and hardy. It was purchased at a local nursery in zip code 23113. Would love to be able to ID it. Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by cdavid
SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

cdavid, you need to start your own thread for an ID. This thread is for guidance as to what to do once your plant has been ID'd, not to ID specific plants.

Go to the bottom of the Plant and Tree ID forum and you'll see where you should post this. Thank you.

Rawalpindi, Pakistan(Zone 9a)

Terry for some body who is good at navigating DG's it is easy as 1-2-3 but do take a close look, i am quite sure that some ease of access can be improved upon. For one thing, data base tab should float on all pages in the tab at top. You have to go all the way to communities in order to access it.
Regards.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

OK, my plant was ID'd. Found it at a website for sale with greater detail as to zones. You don't seem to have it in your plant files. How do I add it?

http://www.plantdelights.com/Farfugium-Last-Dance-PP-20947-Last-Dance-Leopard-Plant/productinfo/8827/

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

The plant sales site states that this is a hybrid: " Farfugium 'Last Dance' is the first commercialized hybrid of two Japanese species, Farfugium japonicum and Farfugium hiberniflorum. The offspring occurred thanks to a rainy night in Georgia...right there outside the bedroom window of Georgia plantsman Ozzie Johnson...he assures me he didn't watch. The glossy green foliage has more angular lobes than most of the Farfugium japonicum cultivars. The 1' tall x 3' wide clumps are topped with a lovely floral display of bright yellow daisies atop 2' stalks starting in late October and continuing through November."

So what would be: Common name etc. This plant overwintered here and most of the other similar plants are zone 7 or higher.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are you 100% certain yours is that particular cultivar? I don't know the genus very well, but quite frequently there are quite a lot of cultivars that look quite similar so it can be difficult to know for sure which one yours is unless you find the tag that came with it or ordered it from a nursery that only sells a couple cultivars. I wouldn't upload pictures to PF unless you're absolutely certain.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

ok thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you do become certain it's your plant, there is already a Plant Files entry for it (actually 2 of them--one listing it as Ligularia 'Last Dance' and the other as Farfugium 'Last Dance'):
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/202059/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/189171/
(I'll put in an error report to PF so that they combine the entries--letting you know just in case one of these links doesn't work by the time you look at it)

One more thing that might help you figure out whether or not it's your plant--do you remember where you got it? This is a patented plant that was introduced in 2010, so if you've had it for longer than that then it can't be this one. Also since it's patented, the nursery would be required to sell it with a label listing the name and the fact that it is patented, so if it's something that you picked up unlabeled or with some sort of generic label off the sale rack at some nursery, big box store, etc that would also make it less likely that it's this particular cultivar.

Beavercreek Township, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't know where else to post/ask this question but am curious about the Yes and No next to the posts. What is that all about?

Thanks!!

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

It indicates whether there are new posting to the thread, since you last connected to DavesGarden. If you open the thread it will change from yes to no and if you sellect skip to new, it will jump to the first unread posting.
If a thread does not interest you, click on the word yes and it will change to no and assume you have read the new postings on that thread.

Ken

Beavercreek Township, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks!! :)

Tucson, AZ

Hi all. I found this strange plant on my front yard here in Tucson
I cannot find the name of it. It caught my eye mostly because it was so different or I slowed down long enough to notice it. I do know that a cactus like thorn will pop out of each green ...
I also have found clues that it it Fragments or can use Vegetative reproduction. It concerns me I do not want it taking over my world. ANY help clues any information would be great!

Thanks Chachagrandmax

Thumbnail by chachagrandmaz Thumbnail by chachagrandmaz Thumbnail by chachagrandmaz Thumbnail by chachagrandmaz Thumbnail by chachagrandmaz
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Chachagrandmax,
These photos are really too blurry to give us an ID. We need clear, non-blurry photos of the whole plant, the leaves and how they join onto the stem, and a clear close-up view of the flowers. In addition, you should post these new photos in a NEW thread, not at the end of an existing CLOSED thread as very few people will see them where you have put these photos.

Ciao, KK.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from chachagrandmaz :
Hi all. I found this strange plant on my front yard here in Tucson
I cannot find the name of it. It caught my eye mostly because it was so different or I slowed down long enough to notice it. I do know that a cactus like thorn will pop out of each green ...
I also have found clues that it it Fragments or can use Vegetative reproduction. It concerns me I do not want it taking over my world. ANY help clues any information would be great!

Thanks Chachagrandmax

Bump to attempt to clear time stamp issues

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from Kaelkitty :
Hi Chachagrandmax,
These photos are really too blurry to give us an ID. We need clear, non-blurry photos of the whole plant, the leaves and how they join onto the stem, and a clear close-up view of the flowers. In addition, you should post these new photos in a NEW thread, not at the end of an existing CLOSED thread as very few people will see them where you have put these photos.

Ciao, KK.

Bump to attempt to clear time stamp issues.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Bump to post the return of SOLVED!!!! Whoopee!

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
San Francisco, CA

Sadly, everything is still broken, so no reason to try to "close" your thread.

Agoura Hills, CA

Quote from ridesredmule :
I wish they would put a thing at the top of the page for us to close our questions.
I have a difficult time closing them. I have several I would delete if I could.

I would and have requested to delete my post and after reading your message I see that will never happen.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

You can't really close your thread you started in the Plant Identification Forum but you can mark it as solved. At the top of your Plant Identification thread it will say in red 'Is this thread finished? " Then it says " If yes, click here to mark it as solved." When you click on solved it will show its solved on the Plant Identification Forum page.

If you want it deleted for some reason, you can dmail the DG Admin, Tyson and ask. He is very good at getting back to you I have found.
https://davesgarden.com/members/IBtyen/

Spam.

Spam.

Thumbnail by Fesammor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.